Review by Bertha Jackson -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Currently Reading: After December
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: The Poe Consequence by Keith Steinbaum

Review by Bertha Jackson -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jorge P. Newbery’s Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands is about the author’s life and what he calls the burn zones he encounters. To him, burn zones are what separates the winners from the losers and allow you to know your body and mind limitations. His story spans from his first job at the age of seven as a newspaper boy to becoming the founder of American Homeowner Preservation. During these years Jorge has several jobs after being a newspaper boy: selling ice cream, being a busboy, musician interviewer to developing his own music company, professional bike riding, real estate mogul, and owner of a real estate company. He does everything with the attitude to never look back as it is a sign of weakness. Everything appears to be at his fingertips and he succeeds at whatever he endeavors until an ice storm hits. After the storm, he has to overcome betrayal, humiliation, frustration, and anger.

Racism and police brutality is a small piece of the book but does show that the same issues we have today have been prevalent for a very long time. The general theme of the book is that if you want something, are willing to work for it, and take risks you will succeed. However, no matter how successful you are, things out of your control can happen. If individuals are not provided opportunities, due to race or other factors that stereotype them, it is more difficult for them to succeed.

I liked this book because Jorge demonstrates strong work ethics and throughout the book, there are motivational things to learn. One example is that lessons and positive outcomes can be found in failures. This tells individuals that it is okay to fail because they can benefit from the outcomes. The inclusion of his marriage and the death of his father was a nice touch to see that he was not just a businessman but also a family man. Normally I do not like autobiographies, but this one was interesting, flowed smoothly, and was well edited. The only thing I disliked about the book was that there is no page numbering.

This book is motivational and I would recommend it for any genre. There are many lessons to be learned in life and failure is only one of them. You may have to overcome obstacles, such as racism or poverty, before you can succeed.

I did not find any grammatical errors in the book. There were only a couple of instances of profanity in the book that may be bothersome to a few readers. This book deserves 4 out of 4 stars.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org

Bertha Jackson
Currently Reading: After December
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: The Poe Consequence by Keith Steinbaum

Post by Bertha Jackson »

This book is motivational and I would recommend it for any genre. There are many lessons to be learned in life and failure is only one of them. You may have to overcome obstacles, such as racism or poverty before you can succeed.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org

Sou Hi
2019 Reading Goal: 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sou Hi »

Thank you for a meaningful review. Too bad I only see the Spanish version available for review. I can't read Spanish, so this is out of my reach :( .

poojkapadia
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 90
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poojkapadia.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by poojkapadia »

I did not not notice that the book had no page number while reading. Thanks for the great review!

Reader5698
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader5698.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by Reader5698 »

I really enjoyed this book as well, especially the parts where Newbery talks about his father. Great review!

Drado_27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drado-27.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Drado_27 »

I would like to read this book. A mix of a motivational story with a dose of society's flaws makes an interesting read. Enjoyed your review!

lavenderbooks20
Currently Reading: Everyday Sexism
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavenderbooks20.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by lavenderbooks20 »

This book has an inspiring success story. I like that the author specifically mentions those uncontrollable factors that impede success. I think it’s very important as well. This is a very insightful review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”