Review by Claude Hang -- Don't Quit by Kyle S. Reynolds

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Claude Hang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claude-hang.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by Claude Hang -- Don't Quit by Kyle S. Reynolds

Post by Claude Hang »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Don't Quit" by Kyle S. Reynolds.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Don’t Quit by Kyle S. Reynolds is a true story based on Jason Merkle’s awe-inspiring battle with terminal brain cancer. It is about never giving up when faced with adversity and relying on faith to get you through.

Jason Merkle was born into a Christian household. At age 13, during a family outing at the beach, tremors began throughout his limbs. He was rushed to the hospital where he was discovered to have a benign tumor at the stem of his brain. He was immediately placed under surgery, and a shunt was placed in his brain to divert the build-up of fluid caused by the tumor. However, removing this tumor would prove too risky due to its location. Thus, Jason had to face life with this shunt in his head that would need regular adjustments through surgery as he would grow. Jason’s parents could not envision their son living such a kind of life. They frantically sought all medical advice they could, including consultation with Dr. Ben Carson, world-renowned pediatric neurosurgeon, and former USA Presidential candidate. However, things only seemed to get worse. In 2001, at age 20, the tumor initially thought to be benign became malignant and thus fatal. His quality of life would quickly deteriorate. After much research, the Merkle family decided against the conventional medical treatment of cancer, instead opting for alternative medicine and a strict diet over chemotherapy and radiation. This alternative treatment was done with the Burzynski clinic that performed groundbreaking but controversial treatments of cancer. What follows is an ordeal like no other.

This is truly a book about faith, family, friends, and perseverance. I have to be careful in writing this review due to the reverence, respect, and awe I have for this story and how it was told through the pages of this book. The book is deeply moving and inspiring. I feel the title aptly captures the underlying message of the book, but not necessarily the gravitas and weight of the story. I was waiting for the period where events turn in favor of Jason. However, it seemed things kept getting worse for Jason; one step forward, two steps back. However, we can see the hand of a higher power at work through occurrences that seem a bit too convenient to be relegated to ‘coincidence.’

Don’t Quit is coherently structured and written. It is professionally edited with no typos. The story itself is remarkable, but even how it was expressed in the pages of this book makes for an intriguing read. The author did not harp on events. The tale of events was concise but still detailed enough to understand the various scenarios that unfold. Included in the book are Jason’s father’s several diary entries. These entries detail events and the psychological/spiritual state surrounding them during that period. The book also offers pragmatic advice on informative resources to help with the fight against cancer, which exact foods should be eaten, and so on.

I recommend this book in need of an uplifting story or for people needing encouragement when faced with seemingly insurmountable challenges like a terminal illness. It is most suitable for Christians because it is partly based on the Merkel family having a strong Christian faith. However, I really believe non-Christians will enjoy it as well because this book is about the universal quality inherent to the human condition, perseverance. It does not contain any offensive view towards having a non-Christian perspective or belief. There is also no profanity in the book. It is family-friendly but be ready for an uplifting albeit poignant read.

I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I could not find anything wrong with it. It is professionally written and edited. It has a beautiful story and is beautifully written.

Don't Quit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”