Review by dyane_foltz -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dyane_foltz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyane-foltz.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Review by dyane_foltz -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by dyane_foltz »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

For readers seeking inspiration, look no further than Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery. Highly relevant for the challenging times we are experiencing in 2020, Burn Zones is as much of a social justice read as it is of entrepreneurial lessons. I think this non-fiction memoir would appeal to nearly all audiences as it was simply a book I could not put down. Due to some profanity, I would not recommend this book to children under the age of 14. It does appear professionally edited, as the book transitions smoothly and has very few errors.

Jorge Newbery, affectionately called "Jorgie" by his father, describes his entrepreneurial drive that began at the age of 7 when he had his first paper route. Always looking to conquer the next challenge and increase his financial successes, Jorge takes on larger and more challenging business ventures. From the neighborhood ice cream cart he started when he was 11, to the record he produced when he was just 17 Jorge was extremely motivated and driven at a young age. He even went on to become a top professional cyclist. Later, he began working in the mortgage industry which eventually led to real estate successes.

As Jorge began to become more and more successful, he began to take bigger risks. The first half of the book describes his successes while the second half of the book explains his resiliency to the disaster from which he fought so hard to recover. During Jorge's journey of upward mobility, readers are reminded of the police brutality that existed in the 1980s and 90s. Sadly, Americans are still struggling with racism and police brutality today.

What I liked most about this book was that the author was able to intertwine themes of social justice, entrepreneurship, and the author's personal growth in a way that allows readers to empathize and root for the underdog. There is a turning point in the book where the focus is that life is less about money and more about relationships, equality, and justice. What I liked least about this book was that there are fewer details provided about how he recovers from his financial woes than the details that are shared about how he had built his empire.

Not only is this book inspirational, but I can also see how this book could help spark the change that our country so desperately needs at this moment. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars . In my opinion, this book would have a significant impact if it was able to be in the hands of all high school and university students. It will especially appeal to readers who may themselves feel as if they do not fit in. Many of Jorge's positions required him to come out of his comfort zone and it is when he pushed himself that his accomplishments were most meaningful.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”