Review by Jemstone83 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jemstone83
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemstone83.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by Jemstone83 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Jemstone83 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Amidst the unimaginable turmoil that Jorge suffered in 2006, he becomes determined to rebuild himself. In Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands by Jorge P. Newbery, Jorge draws on the wise words of Nelson Mandela, “The greatest glory in living lies not in never failing, but in rising every time we fail”, and miraculously propels himself forward to success once again.

However, before we arrive at the great fall, we get to bear witness to the amazing dedication and determination that Jorge possesses, starting from the young age of 7. From delivering newspapers to peddling his newly acquired ice cream trike, to working as a busboy and later interviewing bands for what would become Youth Manifesto, we are riveted by the ambition and intellect of the young Jorge. Now just 17 years of age after much success, he continues to impress with his stage rental business and eventually lands where he set out, as owner of Upstart Records and later, Upstart Distribution.

But then, as if what he’d accomplished wasn’t enough, he’s ready to continue the new and exciting challenges of his life, and becomes an official athlete, taking his bike riding from the streets at 7 years of age, to an elite category 1 cyclist in his early 20’s. It is here that we see the burn zone continuously used to help Jorge focus and to strengthen his resolve.

Jorges highlight reel continues on, making for a fascinating read of how he used each opportunity to become the best at what he did and therefore continue his financial and tangible gains. I particularly enjoyed his strategy used at Pickwick Plaza, ingratiating himself amongst the community and then later utilized again at Woodland Commons, but to an even greater degree. Taking the journey through Woodland Commons with Jorge makes for a mix of emotions, from sorrow and downcast to heart warming and delightful, and back again. It’s here that we see in motion what we already knew from the start of this book-that Jorge genuinely cares for people, and for helping them succeed in life.

This well written autobiography gets 4 out of 4 stars from me, for providing a wide range of emotions, evoking my inner hustle, and mostly, encouraging me to enter burn zones without reproach of failure. This book seemed to be professionally edited, with only one editing blip and one noticeable use of profanity at the end of the book. I’d recommend this book to anyone to read, but I think it would be particularly enjoyable for athletes, real estate investors, entrepreneurs, and anyone who runs a business or is just looking for a push!

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”