Review by Kreads1 -- Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kreads1
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Currently Reading: The Once and Future Witches
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kreads1.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 5604

Review by Kreads1 -- Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress

Post by Kreads1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide by Gustavo Kinrys, M.D. and Alexandra Gold, M.A. is a nonfiction, self-help book.

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide aims to help those seeking to treat anxiety and stress with natural alternatives to prescription medications. This practical guide explains the symptoms of anxiety, anxiety disorders, and stress. Also, the authors provide several natural treatment and prevention options for these conditions. These options include nutrient-based, herbal-based, natural, and alternative remedies, various forms of therapies, and dietary suggestions.

Kinrys and Gold do a superb job of providing feasible alternatives to the traditional treatment of anxiety and stress in a manner that is easy to comprehend. Detailed explanations of conditions and related vocabulary are clearly defined. Recommendations made are supported by medical research, as referenced in the book. The authors explain that stress is an unavoidable part of everyday life, but can impact individuals positively or negatively, depending on how they handle stress. This explanation of beneficial stress vs. detrimental stress was enlightening. Another key message from the authors is the importance of consulting medical care providers before beginning any natural or alternative treatment.

It is clear that the authors are well-versed in their field and have thoroughly researched the topics presented in this book. Included in the appendix is a list of suggested additional reading for those interested in researching this topic further. Additionally, the appendix includes a summarization of the remedies and dietary suggestions included in the book. Easy to understand tables summarize this information. Also provided in the appendix is a grocery list of suggested anxiety and stress-reducing foods.

What I appreciated the most about this book was the utilization of real-life experiences to engage the reader. For example, when introducing the subject of “mindfulness,” the authors provide the storyline of a work-day that begins by waking up late and the downward stumble of emotional stress that takes place over the remainder of the day. This real-life example explains how important it is to recognize one’s reactions, thus preventing this unnecessary stress. This example was one that I related to and allowed me to understand the importance of being mindful. Several of these real-life experiences and descriptions appear throughout the book, assisting the reader in comprehending the information presented.

To be critical, I feel the authors failed to acknowledge traditional treatment as acceptable. The dominant position of this book is to seek natural or alternative methods to treat and prevent anxiety and stress. The authors have a negative opinion related to prescription medication. I feel it is essential to support all of those suffering from these debilitating health issues, regardless of how they seek treatment. Some are suffering from anxiety, anxiety disorders, and stress but are unable to partake in alternative therapies due to underlying medical conditions, for example. I would have liked to see the authors note their support of these individuals. I was happy to see that Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide provides these individuals with options such as meditation and breathing exercises (as well as others), so anyone suffering from anxiety or stress can benefit from reading this book.

Although medical professionals may be interested in reading this book, it is considered a resource to those without medical backgrounds. The book is easy to understand regardless of one’s medical knowledge. I would recommend this book to anyone curious about understanding anxiety and stress. Furthermore, those diagnosed with anxiety or anxiety disorders would benefit from reading this book. Individuals who have a firm belief in prescription medication and traditional medical treatment may not be interested in this book; however, these same individuals may find reading this book to be an eye-opening experience. I would recommend this book to these individuals as well.

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide requires professional editing. I noted a few errors. The majority of these errors were minor and related to punctuation, although I did note two spelling mistakes. While the errors were not a distraction from my reading, the lack of professional editing did impact my rating.

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide was an informative, educational, and enlightening book. I enjoyed reading the book and was not overwhelmed by the information presented. Everyone will benefit from reading this book. My overall rating of this book is 3 out of 4 stars. In truth, this book is worthy of the fourth star, but the book does require professional editing. If professionally edited, I would gladly award the fourth star to this book.

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”