Review by sophiawriter -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sophiawriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophiawriter.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by sophiawriter -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by sophiawriter »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Written by Jorge P. Newbery, Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands is a captivating autobiography about challenging one’s physical and mental boundaries to achieve things he never dreamed possible. The book opens with Newbury’s early life and shows him as a determined figure, despite his young age. Through the chapters, the story gradually develops into tales of his struggles and achievements in his many occupations. During the peak of his career, Newbury owned thousands of apartments and money was constantly at his service. However, after a natural disaster strikes, his life is turned upside down. His business crashes and within days, he becomes the center of public humiliation. Can Newbury bounce back from his severe debt and emotional trauma?

The way Newbury structures this novel was exceptional. Following a logical and consistent pattern, he walks through different chapters of his life in detail. In no parts did I feel like the plot was moving too fast and I could not fully grasp what was happening. His writing style is easy to understand and uses a simple yet touching way of executing this work. I believe that’s a wonderful quality of Newbury’s work because it’s suitable for younger readers as well. Although this was a relatively short read, it was nevertheless enjoyable. The constant plot twists and sudden fluctuations in Newbury’s life made the autobiography engaging at all times.

Personally, I believe this book is also considered a self-help book and is ideal for anyone struggling to gain motivation. The entire autobiography is centered around this idea of bouncing back from failures and has an extremely inspirational storyline. Through the plot, this individual battles his own “burn zones” and constantly modifies himself to reach his full potential. What truly makes Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands so different is that instead of coming off with a superior tone in which the author boasts about his affluence, he takes the opposite route. Newbury uses his accounts of overcoming failure to empower the reader in doing the same, making this an enjoyable story.

All in all, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The tone of the author was compelling, engaging and inspiring. While reading the book, I found it was exceptionally edited and there were no editing errors. Moreover, the structure was cohesive and the word choice was easy to understand. I will definitely be re-reading this novel and I recommend you to get your hands on this gem as soon as possible!

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”