Official Review: Profiles in Kindness by Paul E. Kotz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kirsi_78
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading: My Living Will
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-78.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Official Review: Profiles in Kindness by Paul E. Kotz

Post by Kirsi_78 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Profiles in Kindness" by Paul E. Kotz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How was your day today? What kind of encounters did you experience? Maybe you saw a tired mother with three restless kids at the grocery store and helped her pack and carry her groceries. Or maybe you bandaged the wounds of an unknown child who fell with his bike on the street outside your window? If that was the case, you have just done something remarkable! You might wonder what is there to applaud for, but as a matter of fact, you have just committed an act of servant leadership.

Profiles in Kindness by Paul E. Kotz is a collection of stories of servant leadership. The author has a long track record in the fields of education and business expertise. Despite his proficiency in teaching, Dr. Kotz does not claim to know everything about the given topic, nor does he promise to reveal all the hidden secrets or train the readers to be excellent at servant leadership. Instead, he allows us glimpses of his own life, describing where and how he has experienced servant leadership. Indeed, there are a lot of little lessons hidden in between the lines of these short stories.

According to the philosophy of servant leadership, the most effective leaders are the ones who are striving to serve others instead of taking ultimate control or gaining power. As Paul E. Kotz states, we recognize the presence or the lack of leadership when we see it. I believe this to be true. The author proves his case by introducing multiple small incidents, where the actions of servant leadership have made an enormous difference. I enjoyed the author’s accurate interpretations and appreciated his openness in sharing these little, sometimes painful, lessons of life. The greatest lesson for me was to realize that everyone needs to be recognized by fellow human beings. Dr. Kotz demonstrates how we can deliver this feeling of recognition with the very little things we choose to say or do. I was left with a resolution to bring this particular teaching alive in my own life and relationships.

Profiles in Kindness is divided into five sections in a way that has been used in many other leadership books. I did not feel satisfied with this kind of structure. The author’s own words suggested this book to be more of an inspirational book than a piece created for teaching purposes. Knowing this, the given structure left me feeling somewhat confused. The stories were adorable, funny, touching, and even heartbreaking sometimes. However, I believe this otherwise such beautiful content might have worked better if it was written into a form of a daily devotional for leaders.

I am happy to grant this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I felt obliged to reduce a star based on the structural concerns mentioned above. The editing of Profiles in Kindness was close to perfection as I only found one typing mistake. To conclude, this book is a beautiful, good-spirited read for everyone who wants to know more about servant leadership or just to find positive ways to influence the surrounding society. As the author kindly points out, we all have so much time. We just have to decide how to use the time given to us.

Profiles in Kindness
View: on Bookshelves
Tablito
2021 Reading Goal: 10
Favorite Book: The Mountain and The Goat
Currently Reading: No Dark Clouds
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tablito »

I agree with the author that the most effective leaders are servants. Sometimes people extend acts of kindness to others simply because someone else was kind to them.
Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: Abby the Dog and Tigger the Cat by P.L. (Patricia) Rainey

Post by Star_and_Buck »

It sounds a pretty good book to read.
Nice review.
Kirsi_78

Post by Kirsi_78 »

Tablito wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 00:12 I agree with the author that the most effective leaders are servants. Sometimes people extend acts of kindness to others simply because someone else was kind to them.
Yes, personally I think the whole world would probably be a better place if more people followed the philosophy of servant leadership. Thanks for commenting!
Kirsi_78

Post by Kirsi_78 »

Star_and_Buck wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 00:55 It sounds a pretty good book to read.
Nice review.
Do give it a try, I am sure you'll enjoy it! :)
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

What an interesting book! I have never heard of the concept of servant leadership, but it's so intriguing that I would like to learn more about it.
Elvis Best
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

According to the philosophy of servant leadership, the most effective leaders are the ones who are striving to serve others instead of taking ultimate control or gaining power.
I agree with the concept of this book. Thanks for sharing your review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Kola+wole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kola-wole.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Kola+wole »

Indeed, servant leadership is the greatest form of leadership. One way or another, we are moved whenever we are on the receiving end of kindness which spurs us to don the same for others. Wonderful review.
MeganDJ
Currently Reading: Mirrored Worlds
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megandj.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MeganDJ »

Wow, a book that describes and provides examples of servant leadership in action. I suppose most people don't even realize that they are doing it. The act of doing something purely out of kindness and empathy is truly inspirational and beautiful. Thank you for your insightful and well-rounded review! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe - Marcus Aurelius
Mukukamm30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mukukamm30.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Mukukamm30 »

What an insightful review. Seems as though everyone could make use of the book especially our politicians who easily forget the reason they were elected in the first place. We all need to reorient our focus from bettering ourselves to having some time to perform acts of kindness. I would be interested to find out what the book teaches.
Cotwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Cotwani »

If everyone consciously looked for more positive ways to recognise and influence others there would be more joy and cheer all around. Sounds like a book worth reading. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Kirsi_78

Post by Kirsi_78 »

Juliet+1 wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 15:30 What an interesting book! I have never heard of the concept of servant leadership, but it's so intriguing that I would like to learn more about it.
Servant leadership really is a good philosophy, I believe it can make a huge difference in our society. Thanks for commenting!
Kirsi_78

Post by Kirsi_78 »

Elvis Best wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 17:27
According to the philosophy of servant leadership, the most effective leaders are the ones who are striving to serve others instead of taking ultimate control or gaining power.
I agree with the concept of this book. Thanks for sharing your review. Good job!
Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)
Kirsi_78

Post by Kirsi_78 »

Kola+wole wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 17:37 Indeed, servant leadership is the greatest form of leadership. One way or another, we are moved whenever we are on the receiving end of kindness which spurs us to don the same for others. Wonderful review.
Kindness creates more kindness, that is definitely true. Thanks for commenting!
Kirsi_78

Post by Kirsi_78 »

MeganDJ wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 00:11 Wow, a book that describes and provides examples of servant leadership in action. I suppose most people don't even realize that they are doing it. The act of doing something purely out of kindness and empathy is truly inspirational and beautiful. Thank you for your insightful and well-rounded review! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
Exactly. I hope that many people will be inspired by reading these stories. Thanks for your kind words!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”