Official Review: The Galápagos Islands: On Your Ow...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: The 2021 Chronicles by A Glenn Rose

Official Review: The Galápagos Islands: On Your Ow...

Post by Standor5865 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Galápagos Islands: On Your Own and On a Budget" by Jim Santos.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One of the critical things to consider when planning a holiday trip is the cost. Entry fees, accommodations, tours, and food can be expensive. Jim Santos recognizes this, and in his book, The Galápagos Islands: On Your Own and On a Budget, he leverages his personal experiences from his trip to Galápagos with his wife, Rita, research, discussions with other people who have traveled to Galápagos, and people he met on the Galápagos Islands to assist interested readers with touring without a tour guide and without breaking the bank and still having a fantastic experience.

The author emphasizes the importance of finding a balance between enjoying your vacation and your budget, and this was something I felt readers should take to heart, as overly cutting costs can ruin the experience. This is why he introduces readers to essential questions that must be answered to get the best out of their trips, including questions about the animals you want to see, how much time you have, how many islands you want to see, modes of transportation, and your budget.

Jim Santos presents detailed advice in chronological order, from the point of entry into Ecuador to the end of the experience when you have to go back home. Readers are shown the different ports for entry and the air services that fly to Galápagos. Links to the companies' websites can be found in the book. Laws governing entrance into Ecuador that apply to tourists are also explored. I liked that the author discusses potential changes, like changes in fees to enter parks and functioning airlines, that may occur in the near future and advises readers to research them before they embark on their trip.

For me, the book was a travel experience, as I followed the author on his trip, an inspiration to travel to Galápagos someday, and a travel guide all in one. Jim Santos took me through historical aspects of the islands, especially concerning the wildlife there. Surprisingly, Galápagos is not one of the best places for wildlife viewing because of the number of animals in the region but because of the unique species that have adapted to harsh conditions and cannot be found anywhere else. I was also interested in El Muro de las Lágrimas (The Wall of Tears), which was built manually by prisoners.

Maps are also included in the book to give readers a good idea of where they will be at different points during their trip. The pictures of the author's experiences were what I appreciated the most in the book, as I could see everything that was talked about and how beautiful the experience was. The pictures also ensured that Jim Santos could focus on delivering his message without having to spend a lot of time describing events, and the concise, easy to read nature of the book is a consequence of this.

The Galápagos Islands: On Your Own and On a Budget is also well edited. I found just three minor errors that didn't have any bearing on the flow of my reading. There was nothing I disliked about the book. Different prices and types of accommodation, foods, transportation, and touring experiences are discussed in detail. Even places where readers can source for medications and convenience stores are included. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, and it will appeal to readers that open to taking a trip to Galápagos. People that love to travel will also enjoy reading this book, as the author's experiences are included.

The Galápagos Islands: On Your Own and On a Budget
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
FS60
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by FS60 »

Yeah, balance between the two, enjoyment and budget management, is vital for your long-term peace of mind.
Chiawa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiawa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Chiawa »

Makes me want to plan a vacation to Galápagos ! Inspiring Review.
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: 7 Ways To Manage Pain With CBD by David Anthony Schroeder

Post by JKO »

When planning a vacation, it is of utmost importance that your financial power should be taken into consideration. I'd like to follow Jim on his journey to Galápagos, learning how to balance my finances with a good experience for the journey. This is a good review. Thanks.
Bookworm101520
Currently Reading: Dead Mountain
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm101520.html
Latest Review: Crooked Creek: A Comedy about Writer's Block and a Neurotic Home Owners Association by Fredrick Robertson

Post by Bookworm101520 »

Thanks for the comprehensive review! This sounds like a great vacation planning guide.
TADSAILS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tadsails.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by TADSAILS »

A vacation spot in a reserved location. I appreciate that the author took the time to documents his encounters even when he was on vacation. Nice review and I would probably travel to check the place out after restrictions In my country, loosens.
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

I have been thinking and planning to take a trip since FOREVER. Even though the trip I want to take is not the same location as the author’s, I’m sure that this book can be a helpful guide for me.
I’m so glad I stumbled upon your review and this book!
LuciusM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luciusm.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by LuciusM »

The author has given good guidance to those who wish to go for a vacation. It is always better to plan the way you have stated it in your great review.
BookBoyP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookboyp.html
Latest Review: Purges of the Soul by Cathy S Birn

Post by BookBoyP »

I'm not really into travelling, but this book seems well researched, and O can think of a few people that will benefit from it. Nice review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”