Official Review: Funding projects in the third world

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Rich White Americans by Virginia Dale

Official Review: Funding projects in the third world

Post by Kibetious »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Funding projects in the third world" by Karamba Bayo.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Numerous socioeconomic-development projects have been started to address unmet human needs in many parts of the world, especially in third-world countries. However, it also appears there have been some that were begun just for the sake of attracting foreign funding, which eventually ends up in the pockets of the program founders and managers. There are other projects, at the same time, that were addressing genuine needs but have disappeared as they lacked financial support. Therefore, project initiators ought to have the necessary prerequisites to attract funding or continue operating the project without external funding. Moreover, funders have to know how to choose ventures to finance and also follow up to ensure the funds are used solely for stipulated activities.

Why do we still need non-governmental organizations? How does a project initiator know where to set up a project and what issues have to be looked into before selecting a project location? How should a funder choose where the available funds should go? Why is project evaluation important?

Funding Projects in the Third World: Hidden Secrets Revealed was authored by Karamba Elhadj Bayo. It is approximately 384 pages long and consists of eight chapters. The book was published by Outskirts Press in 2020. The author decided to write it after searching for this kind of book without getting any in the market. It is also worth bearing in mind he has been heading a national non-governmental organization he founded in Guinea, La Samaritaine-Guinee, for more than thirty years. The fact that this NGO is still operational and helping to give the young people another chance at life in his home country is proof what he has written is practical and effective.

This is a book for both funders and recipients of funding. First, the author dwelt on many issues a project initiator has to tackle from the conception stage of the project to ensure its success. One of them that I immensely appreciated was the sustainability of the project itself. This entailed having a plan so that the recipients could at one time run the project themselves. It also included having a proper asset management policy to minimize wastage of resources and also reduce reliance on external assistance to replace worn-out equipment. There was also adequate information on the need for sound research to not only start but also support the project activities and long-term goals.

There is nothing I disliked about the book. What I liked most were the vignettes the author included in the book. They helped to add weight to his statements and also illustrate the consequences of initiating a project without sufficient consultation or research. The story of two Guinean stowaway boys, who died on a jetliner bound for Brussels, portrayed how people can quickly react with emotions to a situation and after a short time stop pursuing the commitments they made. It was also proof that many countries have many policies in place, but have just left them at the table. Consequently, poverty still remains a challenge in many developing and under-developed countries.

I have benefited greatly as one who has always been interested in the running and impact of NGOs. I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars due to the grammatical errors I discovered. In addition, many run-on sentences reduced the readability of the book and made comprehension a bit daunting as well in some instances. This is a book that will most certainly prove resourceful for project initiators and managers and funders as well. I also recommend the book to any reader who wants to know more about effective management and funding of socioeconomic projects.

Funding projects in the third world
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

Tablito
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tablito »

Sad that people followup at the beginning only for them to stop along the way having not achieved the objective as was evident in the Guinean stowaway boys' case.

Nqobile771
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: Hollowed by Annamarie Ibrahim

Post by Nqobile771 »

It is really disheartening to hear of these self-serving and bogus NGO's. Needy people lose out to greedy ones. Thanks for the detailed review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM

Yvonne Monique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Yvonne Monique »

This is not a subject I can relate too, but your review was detailed and insightful.

Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Ada Ling »

It will be a good resource book to refer. Thank you for sharing the book.

HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: You, Me... And Us by Moctezuma Braussi

Post by HannahsReads »

Thank you for your thorough review! I am interested in reading about global nonprofits and this book sounds very detailed.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”