Official Review: Architect of Death at Auschwitz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Official Review: Architect of Death at Auschwitz

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Architect of Death at Auschwitz" by John W Primomo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Architect of Death at Auschwitz, written by John W. Primomo, chronicles the life of one of Nazi Germany’s most notorious commanders. Born into a Catholic family, Rudolf Höss had the attributes of a leader from a very young age. A strong-willed and determined young man, he was fascinated by the military and joined the Nazi Party, pledging allegiance to the Third Reich and Hitler. Rising through the ranks, he worked under Heinrich Himmler and eventually became the commander at Auschwitz, where more than one million “enemies of the state” were sent to their deaths. Höss was the most forthcoming of all the high-ranking Nazis. Through his memoirs and interviews with Allied investigators, the world gains insight into the twisted psyche of the Nazi mentality.

There is no shortage of books about the horrors of the Holocaust. This book is different from others because it tells a story of a man from different angles through an objective and comprehensive lens. What was it that led this man to commit such heinous acts? Like many thought-provoking books will do, the book prompted me to read about the other Nazi leaders and the Nuremberg War Trials, which in turn had me listening to testimonies of Auschwitz survivors. Scores of stories from many nations tell different sides of the same story. While each experience is different, there is also a unifying element: the suffering and abuse at the hands of Rudolf Höss and his subordinates.

The best part of this book is the insightful and objective analysis of a man who by any standard is the definition of evil. After a preface that serves as an outline for the book, each chapter provides an abundance of descriptive detail written in academic but straightforward language. Photographs complement the text. The book is carefully researched; the author was meticulous in annotating his reputable sources to support his ideas. I feel this gives a sense of authenticity and validity to the writing. There are poignant details in this book that I have not learned from any other source. Also worth noting is the superb editing; given the complexity and length of the text, it is unexpected to find so few errors. For the detailed analysis, historical context, and informative nature of the writing, I give this book 4 out of 4 stars.

There is nothing I disliked about the book; the author’s portrayal of the events at Auschwitz and the life of Rudolf Höss is nothing less than captivating. The only negative thing I could say is that I found some parts of the book to be repetitive. However, when telling a life story and describing legal proceedings, it may be necessary to create a holistic representation of events. The restating of descriptions and events can also be attributed to the organization of the book and the author’s writing style.

I recommend this book to all adult readers. Although there is very little profanity, the atrocities depicted in the concentration camps are very disturbing, even for adults. I have read many books about the Holocaust and was still moved to tears reading the intricate details on the methods of genocide. Readers who enjoy history, psychology, and criminology will appreciate the analysis and discussion this book has to offer. High school history or psychology students may benefit from selected sections of the book, as it contains a plethora of primary and secondary sources for study. Overall, I enjoyed this remarkable book that tells the story of war and retribution. Every person who reads this account will ponder the profound effects of social influence and marvel at the power of the human psyche.

Architect of Death at Auschwitz
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Adrianna Melillo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Revolutionary Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrianna-melillo.html
Latest Review: Spring Fed by Bill Plyler

Post by Adrianna Melillo »

I’ve read countless books about WW2, but most have been from the side of the victims. While I will probably never be able to understand how this man came to do what he did, I am incredibly interested to learn his reasonings and about his upbringing. Thank you for a very thorough review; I’m definitely adding this to my list!
gatuguta2030
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatuguta2030.html
Latest Review: Spirit of the Season by Brian Lamont

Post by gatuguta2030 »

Thanks for the great review. Due to fear of the atrocities in the book, I will not read it.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Descriptions of the horrors perpetrated in Nazi lagers are truly disturbing, and understanding how people who often seem normal could join Hitler in his extermination plans. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Doziesixtus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doziesixtus.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Doziesixtus »

I'm not a fan of historical wartime books. I'll pass on this. Tho you did a nice one on the review
Tablito
Favorite Book: The Mountain and The Goat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tablito »

A million plus deaths during Rudolf's term as commander of Auschwitz is quite a big number.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

Adrianna Melillo wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 08:39 I’ve read countless books about WW2, but most have been from the side of the victims. While I will probably never be able to understand how this man came to do what he did, I am incredibly interested to learn his reasonings and about his upbringing. Thank you for a very thorough review; I’m definitely adding this to my list!
This will definitely give you some insight. Thanks for stopping by!
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis-seres-rodriguez.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

Now that's an interesting perspective. Definitely caught my attention. Great review!
Keta_ki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keta-ki.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Keta_ki »

That was a great review. I have read this book, I really loved it. It offered great insight on the Second World War.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”