Official Review: A Parent’s Journey Through A Child...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Remarkably you, Remarkably me by Lavette Shirley Elee

Official Review: A Parent’s Journey Through A Child...

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Parent’s Journey Through A Child’s Sexual Abuse" by Dale S. Christensen, Sr..]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"How does a parent trust anyone when their child was abused by someone the family knew? Where do you start putting the pieces together?" In A Parent’s Journey Through A Child’s Sexual Abuse, these are a few of the questions that torment Dale S. Christensen, Sr. With gut-wrenching honesty, Christensen shares the heartbreaking story of his six-year-old daughter's sexual abuse, although he purposely omits graphic details. "I can assure you the details are nothing a child should endure and a parent should never hear about." However, Christensen chronicled how the experience affected his family before and after the abuse. He detailed what it was like to deal with law enforcement, healthcare professionals, the court system, and ongoing family counseling.

After explaining the circumstances leading up to the night of the abuse and the events immediately following it, Christensen intentionally focuses on the aftermath. Even so, it is impossible to read his story without experiencing sadness about the abuse Christensen's daughter suffered and its effects on the family. While sensitive readers may shy away from the heartbreaking content, Christensen addresses a relevant topic, and the information he shares could be a lifeline for parents in similar circumstances. Readers will relate to his emotionally charged self-doubts, questions, and responses throughout the book. For instance, when he reveals not heeding his wife's doubts about his children attending the sleepover where the abuse took place, his pain is palpable as he beats himself up for allowing them to go.

Likewise, the book's strength lies in Christensen's brutal honesty regarding his grief, anger, and appeals for improvements to a flawed system. As the parent of an abused child, he very effectively conveys his frustration with the judicial process and support groups, which seem to prioritize offenders' rights over those of the victims. He expresses understandable outrage at the insensitivity of subjecting victims to "rape tests" after their traumatic experience, insisting on changing the name of the procedure to something more appropriate and less frightening.

I particularly like the personal letters to his children, wife, and parents that Christensen includes at the end of the book. His heartfelt letters communicate gratitude, admiration, regret, and respect to his family members. As Christensen's children are now adults, he is able to offer long-term insight and hope for parents and survivors.

I honestly can't name anything I dislike about the book's content, but unfortunately, the number of punctuation errors necessitates the deduction of a star. Therefore, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. However, with a bit of polishing, it has the potential to earn the highest rating. Although Christensen includes a disclaimer that it is not intended to provide "...psychological, legal, or any other kind of professional advice," he offers an insightful perspective as the parent of an abused child. I would recommend the book to any parent and to readers who have experienced similar circumstances. However, while Christensen is cautious not to include graphic details, the content may trigger victims of sexual abuse.

A Parent’s Journey Through A Child’s Sexual Abuse
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Eutoc »

From your review I would say this book is really needful. There has been a negligible attention given to families of sexual abuse victims. Sometimes they feel greater psychological trauma than we expect. Thank you Cecilia for this excerpt.

Nqobile771
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: Spanish Flu vs Covid-19, which is the worst pandemic? by Farzana Prior

Post by Nqobile771 »

I am yet to see a more damaging ordeal than sexual abuse.It leaves a permanent stain! Thanks for a beautiful and sensitive review
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM

Joan642
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan642.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Joan642 »

This is really heartbreaking. Child abuse is a really sensitive topic, and am glad the author was able to put aside his grief and inform parents who are in similar situation on how to handle such situations. Thanks for the insightful review.

Vidhi Vadhar
Currently Reading: Chanakya and the Art of Getting Rich
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-vadhar.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Vidhi Vadhar »

Child abusive is really a very sensitive topic. I am happy the author has tried his best to put his thoughts into words in a very perspicacious way. Would like to read the book after I read your review. Thank you.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Eutoc wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 03:48
From your review I would say this book is really needful. There has been a negligible attention given to families of sexual abuse victims. Sometimes they feel greater psychological trauma than we expect. Thank you Cecilia for this excerpt.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Nqobile771 wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 07:42
I am yet to see a more damaging ordeal than sexual abuse.It leaves a permanent stain! Thanks for a beautiful and sensitive review
Thanks for your comment :tiphat:

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Vidhi Vadhar wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 00:25
Child abusive is really a very sensitive topic. I am happy the author has tried his best to put his thoughts into words in a very perspicacious way. Would like to read the book after I read your review. Thank you.
You're welcome. Thanks for sharing.

Tabbi+20
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tabbi-20.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Tabbi+20 »

Thanks for the review Cecilia . It's so painful for any parent whose child is sexually abused. They don't know who to trust anymore. The feeling that they could have done something to prevent that from happening does not leave their consciousness. I can feel that from the review. Well done

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”