Official Review: COVID19: Companion Handbook: A Case Base...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ButterscotchCherrie
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 76
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Adult Children
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: COVID19: Companion Handbook: A Case Based Approach by Chowdhury H Ahsan, MD,Ph.D.
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: COVID19: Companion Handbook: A Case Base...

Post by ButterscotchCherrie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "COVID19: Companion Handbook: A Case Based Approach" by Chowdhury H Ahsan, MD,Ph.D..]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Isolating seems a reliable means of preventing the spread of COVID-19. Some don't have that option, however - especially not health-care professionals. Some of these frontline workers have taken time out of their schedules to share their observations and experiences.

COVID-19: Companion Handbook - A Case-Based Approach by Dr. Chowdhury H. Assan is a compilation of papers written by doctors from around the world. Among other themes, the authors consider the effectiveness of different drugs in treating COVID-19, the impact of the virus on various organs and systems, and the protection of health-care workers. Each paper is based on cases these doctors have been involved with, so this is the absolute latest information. The book is a means of getting crucial knowledge out to other doctors practically in real time.

In that connection, I was impressed by how quickly this has been put together. One drawback of that, however, was that some of the papers seemed rushed. Some contained typos that even one careful read-through should have eliminated. Inconsistencies could often be found close together. Perhaps appropriately enough, the disease itself caused a lot of trouble here, manifesting as "COVID19", "COVID 19", "Covid-19", and even "COVOD-19".

With regard to other medical terms, it was not always easy or possible to find explanations of the various abbreviations used. The following sentence is a fairly typical example. "A 62-year-old male with a history of HTN, HLD, CKD, nephrotic syndrome, hypothyroidism, immunosuppression from steroid and cyclosporine presented to the ED with a complaint of SOB and diarrhea on 4/24/2020 and had recently tested positive for COVID 19 on 4/22/20 after being seen for a virtual visit on 4/21/20." This style is acceptable, however, in that this book is clearly aimed at medical professionals.

I would, therefore, thoroughly recommend it to anyone in the health-care field. A layperson who wouldn't be daunted by the medical language might also find it of interest. It would be well worth making this book accessible to a lay audience in that it contains so much vital information. Anyone feeling complacent about their vulnerability to the virus should be sobered by facts like this: "People with COVID-19 as young as 30 are experiencing strokes even when their symptoms were mild."

This is not groundless alarmism; one major asset of this book is that it presents evidence-based information. Each article is thoroughly referenced and illustrated with photographs. The images showing the damage the virus can cause are fascinating, if sometimes disturbing. Many detailed diagrams in colour are also included. This attention to detail is accompanied by skilful handling of the big picture - the chapter arrangement is logical and effective.

This all made for an informative read. Some more polishing is needed, but on the strength of its numerous positive aspects and the more accurate and consistent articles, I rate this book three out of four stars. It will arm doctors and others with vital, up-to-date information about COVID-19.

COVID19: Companion Handbook: A Case Based Approach
View: on Bookshelves

Sjtoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sjtoy.html
Latest Review: Jackels of the Night by P.Mesta

Post by Sjtoy »

I am also impressed this book was published so quickly. It does seem like a book geared more toward medical professionals. Your example sentence was like something I would read in the case history of a medical chart. I work part-time in the medical field, and this seems like a book that could provide valuable insight. Great review.

ButterscotchCherrie
Latest Review: COVID19: Companion Handbook: A Case Based Approach by Chowdhury H Ahsan, MD,Ph.D.

Sjtoy wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 15:12
I am also impressed this book was published so quickly. It does seem like a book geared more toward medical professionals. Your example sentence was like something I would read in the case history of a medical chart. I work part-time in the medical field, and this seems like a book that could provide valuable insight. Great review.
Ah, so you'd be able to decipher that lot! Thank you for your kind comment.

Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Star_and_Buck »

I think it is a much needy book during this time. The detailed diagrams will also help.
Great review.

ButterscotchCherrie

Star_and_Buck wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 20:33
I think it is a much needy book during this time. The detailed diagrams will also help.
Great review.
Hopefully, it will indeed come in handy. Thank you for your comment!

Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 154
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 105
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 610
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: When Pigs Flu... by Jake McKenzie
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina »

I commend these doctors for taking the time to share their knowledge amidst the stresses of frontline risk and service. I think it's time to learn some basic medicine. Familiarity with those acronyms and medical terms may save our lives.

ButterscotchCherrie

Miriam Molina wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 01:09
I commend these doctors for taking the time to share their knowledge amidst the stresses of frontline risk and service. I think it's time to learn some basic medicine. Familiarity with those acronyms and medical terms may save our lives.
I still got a lot out of reading the book without knowing every term - I could make intelligent guesses at at least some of them! Thank you for your insightful comment.

Doziesixtus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doziesixtus.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Doziesixtus »

This book is much needed to help us take appropriate measures to mitigate the covid-19. Thanks for the review

ButterscotchCherrie

Doziesixtus wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 15:26
This book is much needed to help us take appropriate measures to mitigate the covid-19. Thanks for the review
It is indeed full of useful information. Thank you for your comment!

Juliet+1
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: An Unexpected Excursion Into the Unknown by Gene Abravaya

Post by Juliet+1 »

I'm really tempted by this book. Actual case-based information is so hard to find. The technical jargon is a little scary, but one can always look up the terms on the internet. Thanks for a very helpful review!

ButterscotchCherrie

Juliet+1 wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 15:32
I'm really tempted by this book. Actual case-based information is so hard to find. The technical jargon is a little scary, but one can always look up the terms on the internet. Thanks for a very helpful review!
Yes, and you could still get an impression of the meaning in context. Thanks for commenting!

MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading: Divine Providence
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: I am Fearless by Quintero Caldwell

Post by MsH2k »

Kudos to the author for putting this vital information together so quickly. Medical terminology has never been my thing, and the sample sentence sent my head reeling, but evidence-based information is always needed.
Thank you for an informative review.

JoshuaDean01
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JoshuaDean01 »

I think this article is something many Americans need to read during this time of a pandemic that has impacted many people even world wide. I never have understood any medical terms but the information is great for anyone who needed more information of covid.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”