Official Review: Crossing The Crevasse

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Official Review: Crossing The Crevasse

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Crossing The Crevasse" by W Wallace Wagner Jr.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One of the most dangerous statements to make among religious Christians is that the Bible contains errors and inconsistencies. Like Wallace Wagner, I believe that understanding the word of God through the Bible goes beyond taking the texts literally. Employing the elements of research and personal experience, the author uses Crossing The Crevasse to establish that the Bible, as we know it today, is not the inerrant word is God; it's the errant work of men.

This book was an eye-opener for me. I loved the way the author started by asking the reader to make a prayer. Sincerely, the subjects discussed in this book require an open mind to assimilate and understand. The author knew the risk he was taking. Hence, he intermittently solicited for an open-minded approach from the reader, especially the Christian folks. Through this book, I was able to see a connection between the UFO concept and biblical events. The author used examples from Elijah's translation through the chariots of fire to the star that showed the wise men from the East the location of Jesus's birth. I liked the connections of these biblical events to present-day occurrences.

The author made it clear that he wasn't trying to challenge the sovereignty and divinity of God. He used a lot of historical facts to explain why he thought the Bible as we know it today, was altered from what it originally was. He cited the role Martin Luther played in reducing the Bible from 73 books to 66 books. He also mentioned Sir Francis Bacon's involvement in translating the Bible to suit King James's monarchical disposition. These historical stories were evident that the Bible that most evangelicals read was doctored and influenced by human wisdom. As much as he isn't saying the Bible is a lie, he proposes that Christians see the Bible beyond its literal meaning.

One of the things that made this book an enjoyable read was the author's storytelling ability. At some points, I wondered if this was a non-fiction book or a novel. The stories were relatable, factual, and relevant to the subject being discussed. I enjoyed the stories of his travels during the research stage of this book. I also found the historical stories he told to be fascinating.

The thorough research that went into putting this book together was glaring. A significant portion of this book was dedicated to outlining resources the author used in writing the book — quotes, references, dictionary, and appendices. The litany of images in the book gave more credence to the research work. This book was well put together.

Apart from the many grammatical errors I found, this book satisfied all my expectations. Therefore, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. This book would benefit Christians seeking a better understanding of the Bible beyond the literal text.

Crossing The Crevasse
View: on Bookshelves
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

I love exploring different religions. Would definitely read this book someday. Thanks for the amazing review.
baha Ibrahim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baha-ibrahim.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by baha Ibrahim »

i am not into religion books , thanks for the review
:tiphat: Baha :tiphat:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”