Review by Jbonds -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jbonds
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jbonds.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by Jbonds -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Jbonds »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Some people seem to possess the entrepreneur gene. They are passionate, industrious, and perseverant: all essential qualities that contribute towards a successful business. Jorge P. Newbery is one of these people. His life story, self-authored in the book Burn Zones, tells of his business and personal triumphs, beginning in his early childhood to adulthood. Along the way, Jorge displays an amazing, fearless attitude that sets him apart from others who are older and more experienced than he is. He lives according to the adage ‘The greater the risk, the greater the reward.’

From the very first chapter, I was fascinated by his dedication to excel in his first business: delivering newspapers. He was young and inexperienced but deeply committed. Most people work their whole lives and never develop the work ethic Jorge had at seven years of age. He was also very money-savvy. While most children would spend their hard-earned money on candy or toys, Jorge saved it. Eventually, he used his savings to invest in his second business: the ice cream tricycle. It seemed that every time he set his sights on a new path, he gave one hundred and ten percent to succeed. Even when he did not fulfill his expectations, like making it to the Olympics as a professional bicyclist, he managed to gain insight into his failings and learned not to repeat his mistakes.

In time, Jorge became quite the real estate mogul. He invested small fortunes into buying worn-down, neglected properties, transforming them into beautiful places to live. His pride and joy was a property in Columbus, Ohio called Woodland Meadows, once known for drugs and prostitution. Jorge and his team not only renovated the property but also provided the community with outreach programs designed to give them marketable soft skills and technical training so they could find respectable work. Unfortunately, a natural disaster in 2004 brought tragedy to Woodland Meadows and Jorge lost a staggering amount of money. The book describes in detail what happened and how Jorge, despite losing it all, managed to rebuild his reputation and finances.

I thoroughly enjoyed the way Jorge told his story. It was entertaining, engaging, and sincere. I also enjoyed the pictures he included. It added a nice personal touch. The book was edited professionally as I did not notice any errors. There was only one brief mention of nudity but there were no erotic elements to it. Finally, there were only a few instances of profanity but none so many that would distract the reader.

There was not anything I disliked about this book. It is appropriate for readers of all ages. I would even suggest high school teachers include this as part of a required reading assignment as the life lessons Jorge gained would be beneficial for adolescents preparing to face real-world challenges. For these reasons, I would rate it a 4 out of 4.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”