Review by Darshana Sikidar -- The Secrets To Living A F...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Darshana Sikidar
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darshana-sikidar.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Review by Darshana Sikidar -- The Secrets To Living A F...

Post by Darshana Sikidar »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life..." by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you feel trapped? Do you think suffering has become a part of your life? Do you think nothing can change your life? Do you think your life is going to end? The book “The Secrets to Living a Fantastic Life: Two Survivors Reveal the 13 Golden Pearls They've Discovered” has all the answers.

The name of the book gives a glimpse of the entire story. Dr. Allen Lycka, the author of the book and a world-class cosmetic dermatologist, was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig’s disease and had only 6 months to live. He shares his journey of recovery after 16 years in this book. Harriet Tinka, a runway model then, co-author and an empowerment youth worker now, was almost killed by a friend turned to be a delusional lover and a stalker. She was horrified, traumatized, and embarrassed by that incident. She blamed herself for everything and wanted to end her life. But everything changed when she met a girl named Amber. Their journey of embracing the devastating events and coming out better and stronger is very intriguing and inspiring.

This book is published at the right time when the whole world is going through tough times due to COVID-19 pandemic and suicides & deaths are the only news that we hear every day. In this book, the authors speak about 13 golden pearls that are important to have a remarkable life. Those 13 secrets are not very groundbreaking but to be reminded at this time of the year makes it majestic. Another uniqueness in the book is the stories and quotes that the authors share with the golden pearls.

There are a bunch of things that I liked. First of all, the way authors structured the book. They incorporated dialogues that made it a child’s play to read. Secondly, there are modern and trending jokes that make it engaging. Thirdly, the story of the butterfly in chapter 4 touched my heart deeply because my struggle is related to that pearl. Last but not least, the wisdom presented in every chapter for example, the first chapter talks about love which is typically not new but the types of love according to the ancient Greeks is something that amplified my understanding.

There was nothing that I felt was off-putting. It has been professionally edited. There was nothing profane or erotic in nature in the reading. I will give the book 4 out of 4 ratings, anything less will mean unjust to the wisdom that the authors have shared from their life experiences.

As the saying goes, “Pain is inevitable: suffering is optional”. Hence, I recommend this book to everyone. At some point everyone will need these golden pearls to live a fantastic life even with difficulties. Unlike other self-help books, it consists of only 164 pages which is very thin in comparison, so people who do not like reading thick books can read it.

The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life...
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Alice Festo
Favorite Book: Deceitful Survival
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-festo.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Alice Festo »

Sounds like an inspiration book. It will be interesting to know the 13 secrets of a fantastic life, from your review it's definitely going on my reading list.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for reviewing. It seems this book is suitable for everyone to use and not just those who are having difficulties in life.
Nehal Mitna
Favorite Book: The Champagne Tales
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nehal-mitna.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nehal Mitna »

This book is so inspirational. I enjoyed reading your review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”