Official Review: Romancing The Dog by Marion Zola

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fazzier
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Romancing The Dog by Marion Zola

Official Review: Romancing The Dog by Marion Zola

Post by Fazzier »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Romancing The Dog" by Marion Zola.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Romancing the Dog is a gripping, entertaining, and informative dog memoir written by Marion Zola. It takes us through how the author and her husband, Sam, strove to make Chips happy, a Tibetan Terrier she adopted from a pound. Making a dog adjust from a life in pet rescue homes to the new life in their adopter's home can be a very challenging experience, not only to the dog himself but also to the owners who have adopted him. This is because these pound dogs usually have pre-existing conditioning, often vaguely known, requiring the new owners to apply various sets of skills to successfully transition them into the new life. This interesting memoir takes us through the day-to-day activities the middle-aged couple engaged in to incorporate Chips into their lives and offer him the best life he could ever have.

I liked the fact that Romancing the Dog is captivating from its beginning until the end. Readers are immediately immersed in the author's outstanding storytelling ability and evident passion for dogs, radiating throughout this interesting dog memoir. She's descriptive and did an exceptional job of capturing even the tiniest of details about their life with Chips. I couldn't help but deduce how keenly the author had been observing their day-to-day lives with him, and this is something readers will openly see. The trio's bond is also admirable and contagious, and I ended up fully immersed in their lives, sharing with them every moment they had. Additionally, from studying the dog's behavior and her first-hand experience with him, she managed to capture every emotion in such an exceptional way that will be really informative to dog lovers. All this enhanced my enjoyment of this book, and for readers looking for a hands-on guide to living their pets, especially dogs, this is an indispensable read.

What I liked the most about this book was the author's approach to living with Chips. As opposed to many dog owners, she treated him respect, care, and high levels of dignity. As a matter of fact, the author seemed to believe that dogs should not be owned, gauged by how she would quote “owner” whenever she used it in the phrase “dog owners”. She, instead, seemed to subscribe to the belief that a dog should be treated like a friend, reasoned with, and communicated with as one having feelings and capable of learning and understanding. She maintained this atmosphere throughout the book, and this could be seen through her various actions. Those, together with the author's transparency and evident passion for dogs, made me enjoy this book more.

All in all, I didn't find anything to dislike about this book. I believe it was professionally edited since I found just one minor error. The error is not distracting, and I'm, therefore, glad to award Romancing the Dog by Marion Zola 4 out 4 stars.

I highly recommend it for pet lovers, especially dog lovers, for there is a lot of hands-on information they can obtain from this. I also recommend it for men and women who tirelessly spend their lives rescuing stray pets and positioning them so that they can find a decent home. Veterinary professionals such as animal behaviorists, among others, will also love this. This book contains only minor profanity and has no erotic content. This makes it suitable for a wide range of audiences, including children. On the other hand, with the exception of those who are not into dogs and memoirs, I can't find anyone to caution against picking this.

Romancing The Dog
View: on Bookshelves

AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Chameleons
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: Puppy Tales ll by James Vought

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Aww, I love a good dog story! It sounds like Chips received the love, care, respect, and second-chance life he deserved. Pound puppies, strays, and shelter dogs often don't ever get to feel the comfort of a loving home - I'm glad this one did. :dog: Thanks for your thoughtful review!

Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Hollywood Marine by Stephen J Osborne

Post by Priyanka2304 »

I can see that this book will definitely interest people of all ages who love dogs. Hope to read this book some day.

Josephe-Anne
2019 Reading Goal: 6
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 227
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I am definitely going to add this book to my "Want to Read" shelf!

Of course, I think of animals as friends too, but my dogs seem to like baby talk more than my normal voice. :lol2: Chips seems to be different though. (I wonder how he got his name.)

Thank you for a heartfelt review.
:animals-dogrun:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann

Wy_Bertram
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Wy_Bertram »

You wrote "dog memoir" and my first, quite irresponsible thought was if dogs could finally write. This sounds like a nice read. Good job on the review.

Misty20058
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misty20058.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Misty20058 »

I have never heard about a " dog memoir" before. However I think this book will appeal to all animal lovers, because who doesn't enjoy a well written dog book. Thanks for the amazing review!

SenSen
Currently Reading: Where the Crawdads Sing
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sensen.html
Latest Review: The Most Unlikely Champion by Vera Koo

Post by SenSen »

Until recently, I have not even read a memoir, and this is a dog memoir? I love dogs, so, naturally, this book goes on my to-read list. And I really like the author using quotations on "owner". It shows the respect she has for Chips. Thank you for the review!
It was so gorgeous it almost felt like sadness. The Lake, Banana Yoshimoto

elsiebeth
Favorite Author: Pamela Schoenewaldt
Currently Reading: Dog Sport Skills
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elsiebeth.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 37948

Post by elsiebeth »

This will be among the next books I read. I always read the ending first to make sure the dog survives the story. This sounds like a dog stays happy and healthy.
Thank you for sharing this review. We have much to learn from pets, and indeed, all animals if we just treat them with the respect they deserve.

riyosha
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riyosha.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by riyosha »

Wow this sounds pretty cool. Nice review :)
If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”