Official Review: Divine Simplicity...Day Two Who Are You?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: You Got This! by Linda Bjork

Official Review: Divine Simplicity...Day Two Who Are You?

Post by Standor5865 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Divine Simplicity...Day Two Who Are You?" by Yasher Echad El.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“I freed a thousand slaves I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves” - Harriet Tubman.

The quote above, which illustrates how self-awareness can affect people, was what stood out the most to me in Divine Simplicity...Day Two Who Are You? by Yasher Echad El. In this book, the author discusses several relevant topics that are easily overlooked in today's society. The effects of this apathy can be seen in the way we treat others, how we idolize irrelevant things, and differences in our views on poverty. In attempting to help empower us with a better understanding of ourselves and our environment, the author believes that we have been asleep, and "it's time to wake up."

The book spans 112 pages, and the author goes straight to the point in his discussions. This made the book an easy read for me, as it kept my attention throughout. The author discusses wealth, racism, faith, judging others, self-love, the dangers of the entertainment industry, and much more. Relatable examples were employed, and a lot of thought-provoking questions were included in the book.

Questions like "If a person lives day to day, can they set a five-year goal for themselves?" and other issues revolving around the need to take shortcuts in life and alter our appearance, using cosmetic products and surgery, piqued my interest. These questions gave me the impression that I should question everything in life if I want improvements, which is consistent with the advice I have received from a few self-help books.

However, there are a few complaints I have about the book. The first issue I encountered was how disorganized the author's thoughts were. The author moved from one topic to another randomly, even without satisfying the reader on the previous topic. This made me feel like the book was written in one sitting and published. I had a few questions that weren't answered, as well. While some of the questions in the book were helpful, I hoped for the author's opinion on some of them, but I never got it. Instead, I got more questions. The book also enables conspiracy theories at times.

Furthermore, there are a few grammatical errors in the book. There are also instances where punctuation marks could have given a precise meaning to what was said, but I couldn't count them as errors. It wasn't difficult to read through them, however. The author also refers to blacks as "Moor" brothers and sisters, and I didn't get any explanation for it.

Overall, the book had its highlights, but it left much to be desired. My complaints above convinced me to rate the book 2 out of 4. The book will be helpful to readers that can carry out further research on some of the things the author discussed. Therefore, I would recommend this book to some people that seek self-improvement and self-awareness.

Divine Simplicity...Day Two Who Are You?
View: on Bookshelves

Chickenwings00
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chickenwings00.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Chickenwings00 »

This is a self-awareness book. I like that the author did an excellent job of explaining the importance of the subject. This is a well written review.

TADSAILS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tadsails.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by TADSAILS »

What an exciting review. This speaks a lot about the book. I love the idea of mental awakening, but your rating is giving me a rethink. Thanks for been honest.

Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Hollywood Marine by Stephen J Osborne

Post by Priyanka2304 »

I have recently read the book on the similar theme. Hoping to read this one too.

Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: The Two Worlds in Which we Live Physical and Spiritual by Evelyn Rozier

Post by Elvis Best »

I enjoy reading self-help books and would def check this one out. Thanks for the insightful review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Teddyquam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teddyquam.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Teddyquam »

Given that it's so short and disorganized, it may have indeed been written all at once. Hopefully your insight will be useful to the author. If my memory serves me right, the Moors is an ethnic group that is native to Africa. I think they are present in Ethiopia and other countries. Don't quote me on that though.
Do you ever feel like you spend too much time reading? Yeah. Me neither. :lol:
:reading-4:

Christieee
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christieee.html
Latest Review: The Greatcoat by Lawrence DAntonio

Post by Christieee »

I agree with the author about having to question everything if you want improvement in your life. If I have the time, I’ll check out this book.

Thanks for the nice review!

Amaraah
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amaraah.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Amaraah »

This is a book I would really love to add on my bookshelf probably because it's a self awareness one. I think this book would help in discovering oneself
This is a must read for me

Wy_Bertram
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Wy_Bertram »

For whatever odd reason, I'm not too keen on introspection (ignorance truly is bliss). However, I've had similar thoughts to the author's, and I hope the book points out these errors without being condescending or inconsiderate, because that never helps these kind of books.
Great job on the review.

prospero360
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 144
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prospero360.html
Latest Review: Massacre Rocks by Dave Lundgren

Post by prospero360 »

The opening quote is intriguing, and the book seems to have a lot of potential. It's a shame it wasn't well-executed, but it will be of help to people.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”