Official Review: At the very Heart and Soul

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: At the very Heart and Soul by Timothy Neff Gocke

Official Review: At the very Heart and Soul

Post by Tomah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "At the very Heart and Soul" by Timothy Neff Gocke.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Relationships are complicated and delicate things. At some point in life, most of us spend huge amounts of time and effort trying to find a good partner; once we do, we cherish them and try to display our best selves... at least for a while. Fast-forwarding a few years, we find ourselves becoming either indifferent or hostile to the one we're supposed to love. Is this an inevitable fate for couples past the infatuation phase? Must love always fade? According to Timothy Neff Gocke, no, but while the necessary steps to prevent this are conceptually simple, they require plenty of conscious effort. In At the Very Heart and Soul, Mr. Gocke lays out a guide to help couples achieve and maintain a fulfilling relationship by emphasizing what he considers the most important aspects: appreciation and gratitude.

Having completed a Master of Science Degree in Labor Relations and taught as a professor, the author came to understand the effects of appreciation in the work environment. Combining this knowledge with his experiences and the experiences of others, he compiled a collection of insights that form the basis of this book.

Besides appreciation and gratitude, a recurring idea in the book is the importance of small, everyday things. Indeed, the reader won't find any exotic, groundbreaking advice; the real challenge is keeping it up. Negative habits, routines, and thought patterns have a way of blinding us from the obvious and getting us used to misery. Even the way couples deal with mundane chores can slowly but surely cause resentment to pile up. These tiny things add over time, eroding even the most solid relationships.

It takes consistently practicing good habits to replace vicious cycles. That's why there are exercises at the end of each chapter, prompting couples to reflect on potential problems in the relationship and how to solve them, as well as think back on why they chose each other as partners and what they appreciate about one another. The author also encourages the reader to start journaling, leaving some pages on the book for this purpose.

Though the book focuses on married couples, readers at any stage of a relationship, including those seeking one, can find valuable advice in At the Very Heart and Soul. Insightful yet down to earth, the chapters offer clear explanations with examples and dashes of humor. There are many grammatical and typographical errors, as well as awkward sentences in general, so the editing is lacking. For this reason, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. There are no profanities or sexual content, making it suitable for most audiences.

At the very Heart and Soul
View: on Bookshelves

gabrielletiemi
Currently Reading: História do Cerco de Lisboa
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielletiemi.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by gabrielletiemi »

This book sounds good for me. The idea of having gratitude and appreciate even the smallest acts is really something helpful when keeping a relationship. Too bad there are so many errors. I'd like to read this book after it passed through another round of editing. Thanks for the review!

Lisbeth Neverland
Currently Reading: Rivers of London
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisbeth-neverland.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Lisbeth Neverland »

I think this book supports the view that, small things make a big difference. Even if they don't seem like much at the beginning, they become really important as the the relationship goes on. Awesome Review!

Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: The Two Worlds in Which we Live Physical and Spiritual by Evelyn Rozier

Post by Elvis Best »

I would def love to read this book, as relationships are a very important part of life. Thanks for the insightful review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Hollywood Marine by Stephen J Osborne

Post by Priyanka2304 »

I completely agree with what this book has to offer to the readers. Thanks for the wonderful review.

riyosha
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riyosha.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by riyosha »

Sounds like a very helpful book, might like to read it someday. :)
If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough

Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Lisbeth Neverland wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 06:54
I think this book supports the view that, small things make a big difference. Even if they don't seem like much at the beginning, they become really important as the the relationship goes on. Awesome Review!
Elvis Best wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 07:12
I would def love to read this book, as relationships are a very important part of life. Thanks for the insightful review. Good job!
Priyanka2304 wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 09:02
I completely agree with what this book has to offer to the readers. Thanks for the wonderful review.
riyosha wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 11:44
Sounds like a very helpful book, might like to read it someday. :)
gabrielletiemi wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 05:17
This book sounds good for me. The idea of having gratitude and appreciate even the smallest acts is really something helpful when keeping a relationship. Too bad there are so many errors. I'd like to read this book after it passed through another round of editing. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for the comments!

Miks_solon
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Book: Inviting Muslims to Christ
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miks-solon.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Miks_solon »

This sounds a good book. I believe about doing something in a consistent matter until it'll be a habit. Nice review.
"Sometimes we need fantasy to survive the reality"

Patrick Maina1
Currently Reading: The Power of Habit
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patrick-maina1.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath
Reading Device: Moonreader

Post by Patrick Maina1 »

Appreciation and gratitude, small every day habits that immensely contribute to healthy family relationships.Interesting angle there

Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Honest-reviewer »

The plot sounds good. I’ll consider reading it someday. Thanks for your wonderful review.

FABIAN_BATS
2019 Reading Goal: 20
Favorite Book: Can I Be Frank?
Currently Reading: Witnesses to The Crucifixion
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabian-bats.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B07ZT3ZMJ7

Post by FABIAN_BATS »

Great review! I appreciate authors who research topics like these and deliver well on them.
Fabian

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a great self-help book for couples, but really sorry about all the errors. Thank you for a great review! :)

Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Patrick Maina1 wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 07:32
Appreciation and gratitude, small every day habits that immensely contribute to healthy family relationships.Interesting angle there
Honest-reviewer wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 07:36
The plot sounds good. I’ll consider reading it someday. Thanks for your wonderful review.
FABIAN_BATS wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 10:53
Great review! I appreciate authors who research topics like these and deliver well on them.
Ellylion wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 12:29
Sounds like a great self-help book for couples, but really sorry about all the errors. Thank you for a great review! :)
Miks_solon wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 06:49
This sounds a good book. I believe about doing something in a consistent matter until it'll be a habit. Nice review.
Thanks for the comments!

Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: Begotten by Joseph Crew

Post by Vic Chimezie »

Seems like a nice book for keeps. Thank you very much for your detailed review and recommendation. Good job!

Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Teele »

Even the way couples deal with mundane chores can slowly but surely cause resentment to pile up.
This is a fundamental truth. Great review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”