Official Review: My Lions' Den by E. M. Power

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 367
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Those Who Hold Up the Earth by Peter F. Crowley

Official Review: My Lions' Den by E. M. Power

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Lions' Den" by E. M. Power.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In My Lions' Den, E. M. Power shares the autobiographical account of her nine-year experience with domestic violence. The title is inspired by the book of Daniel, and each chapter begins with a verse from the biblical narrative. Throughout the story, Power likens the lions' den to trials in life and emphasizes having faith and trusting God. She gives readers a glimpse into life in an abusive relationship, what is involved in escaping to domestic violence shelters, and how to end the cycle. Power also identifies misconceptions and warning signs. Ultimately, she stresses safety and reminds readers that they can trust God to deliver them, too.

Although the book is only 95 pages, I can attest from personal experience that Power does a good job of conveying the fear and despair associated with domestic violence. As a Christian who also fell prey to a man who seemed trustworthy because of his faith, I related to her story in many ways. Abuse on any level is difficult to read about, but Power also shares her efforts to provide a sense of normalcy for her children and a few stories on a lighter note. For instance, she recounted the time that Will and Jada Pinkett Smith visited the swamp tour company where she worked. Her delight in taking a selfie with Will is contagious. Readers who have been in abusive relationships will relate to the necessary compartmentalization that accompanies the lifestyle.

I most appreciate Power's transparency and the examples she shares to illustrate what it's like to live with an abuser. In one instance, she described the time her abuser insisted that she knock on a neighbor's door at one in the morning to ask for a cigarette. Although she tried to decline, she felt threatened enough that she complied and knocked on the door with tears running down her face. Power also provides insight regarding domestic violence shelters, and she describes the living conditions, including the sleeping arrangements, types of counseling available, play areas for children, and the provision of cosmetics and personal items. I was particularly moved by her description of a wall of photographs with brightly colored frames. When Power inquired about the names and numbers on the frames, the advocate responded: "These are all the victims that have died because of Domestic Violence according to the year and month of their death. The number that follows each name was the age of that victim at the time of their death."

Power stresses safety as she discusses shelters as a resource. On a personal note, I was separated for the majority of my abusive marriage, and I wasn’t married as long as Power. Even so, I understand that her faith in God is foundational to her story and her need to wait "...on God's time for deliverance." However, my concern is that some of the wording she uses may be misconstrued. I feel the need to clarify that domestic violence is not a trial anyone should endure for any reason.

The book contains several instances of profanity. Unfortunately, errors in verb tense and capitalization persist throughout the book, and the number of errors prevents me from awarding it a perfect rating. However, Power's story offers abuse victims hope and insight. Overall, I rate My Lions' Den 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend the book to readers desiring to leave abusive relationships and those interested in helping others break the cycle. Some of the information Power shares will be helpful to readers of any faith, but it may not appeal to those who dislike reading scriptures or references to God.

My Lions' Den
View: on Bookshelves

Teddyquam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teddyquam.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Teddyquam »

A lot of times we think that we could never end up in an abusive relationship, but many people don't realise that you can become entrapped and confused by the illusion of love. I agree with you; no one should have to be faced with domestic violence.
Do you ever feel like you spend too much time reading? Yeah. Me neither. :lol:
:reading-4:

gabrielletiemi
Currently Reading: História do Cerco de Lisboa
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielletiemi.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by gabrielletiemi »

The theme of abusive relationships is really a serious issue. Power related something a lot of women pass through everyday. Her faith seems to have helped her a lot through it. Thanks for the insightful review!

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Teddyquam wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 00:30
A lot of times we think that we could never end up in an abusive relationship, but many people don't realise that you can become entrapped and confused by the illusion of love. I agree with you; no one should have to be faced with domestic violence.
Thank you for your comment.

The_Vivian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-vivian.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by The_Vivian »

Domestic violence is one thing many women all over the world have suffered. Some especially in the African region have gotten so accustomed to it that they now see it as part of the total package (marriage) even as they keep suffering. Some who are more courageous, like Power seems to be, have found their way out. Whereas the unfortunate ones, like the pictures on the wall of the shelter Power described, have had their lives cut short. This kind of marriage is not the prayer of any woman and it is our wish that any woman or man who finds themselves in such situation should find a way out. Therefore if power's story is one that encourages other women in her situation, then it is a wonderful book. Nice review. Thanks

Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Hollywood Marine by Stephen J Osborne

Post by Priyanka2304 »

I was intrigued by the title. The theme of this book is a very important topic to discuss. Thanks for the wonderful review.

Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: The Two Worlds in Which we Live Physical and Spiritual by Evelyn Rozier

Post by Elvis Best »

I cannot imagine what the author had to go through in the hands on her husband. I am glad that she decided to share her story. Thanks for such an insightful review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

rahilshajahan
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: The Juicy Fruit Man by LaMar Going

Post by rahilshajahan »

Power seems like a strong woman. Domestic violence is a topic that needs discussion. Great review!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

gabrielletiemi wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 05:26
The theme of abusive relationships is really a serious issue. Power related something a lot of women pass through everyday. Her faith seems to have helped her a lot through it. Thanks for the insightful review!
Thanks for your comment.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

The_Vivian wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 08:21
Domestic violence is one thing many women all over the world have suffered. Some especially in the African region have gotten so accustomed to it that they now see it as part of the total package (marriage) even as they keep suffering. Some who are more courageous, like Power seems to be, have found their way out. Whereas the unfortunate ones, like the pictures on the wall of the shelter Power described, have had their lives cut short. This kind of marriage is not the prayer of any woman and it is our wish that any woman or man who finds themselves in such situation should find a way out. Therefore if power's story is one that encourages other women in her situation, then it is a wonderful book. Nice review. Thanks
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Priyanka2304 wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 09:06
I was intrigued by the title. The theme of this book is a very important topic to discuss. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Thank you! :tiphat:

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Elvis Best wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 09:39
I cannot imagine what the author had to go through in the hands on her husband. I am glad that she decided to share her story. Thanks for such an insightful review. Good job!
Thank you for your kind words!

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

rahilshajahan wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 12:30
Power seems like a strong woman. Domestic violence is a topic that needs discussion. Great review!
Thank you!

Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Teele »

The book contains several instances of profanity
Thanks for your observation. I'll pass on this one.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”