Official Review: Hilltop Doc Second Edition

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nickolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: I'll Be Alright, Songs of my Life by Dave Lamb

Official Review: Hilltop Doc Second Edition

Post by Nickolas Farmakis »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hilltop Doc Second Edition" by Leonard Adreon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hilltop Doc Second Edition by Leonard Adreon is the author’s memoir about his experiences in the Korean War during the early 1950s. The writer describes his memories as a corpsman for the US Marines during battles in the hills of Korea. He mentions the gruesomeness and despair of war, highlighting that it took more than sixty years before he finally manages to open up about his experiences in the Korean War. He uses casual, simple, and direct language to effectively share his story.

The writer begins his memoir by sharing some of the poems he wrote about the Korean War. He later writes that his job in the war was that of a corpsman. In other words, he was a doctor that treated injured soldiers on the ground during the battles. He discusses his training as a Navy corpsman during 1944 when he was drafted in the Navy. After being on the Reserves for some years, he was recruited again as a replacement corpsman when the US went to war in Korea during 1951. He describes some gruesome scenes, such as one of his colleagues using a pen to open up an injured soldier’s air passage.

This memoir was very original and realistic, so I really enjoyed it. To begin with, I liked the memoir’s structure, as the author managed to depict the events of the war in a clear and concise manner. I also appreciated the writer’s poems, as they were creative, authentic, and unique, painting a vivid picture of the horrific events of the war. In addition, the writer described the events of the war in accurate detail, utilizing dialogue and various narrative techniques to engage the reader and create tension in the text. What I liked most about this book was that it included some pictures from the author’s life, which added interest and liveliness to the memoir.

What I disliked most about this book was that it had a number of errors, which reduced the memoir’s quality and degraded the author’s professionalism.

This book is best suited for older male readers who served in the US military. Men will enjoy this book more, as the memoir is written from a male perspective and the events in the story are mainly about men. Older readers, especially veterans, will also relate to the author’s point of view. Readers of all religions can appreciate this book.

To conclude, this book deserves a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. The errors in the memoir forced me to remove a star from this book. However, I gladly give it the next highest rating, as it is engaging, vivid, and authentic.

Hilltop Doc Second Edition
View: on Bookshelves

Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Hollywood Marine by Stephen J Osborne

Post by Priyanka2304 »

I really enjoyed reading your review. Memoirs are always interesting and informative. Hope to read this pretty soon.

Misty20058
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misty20058.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Misty20058 »

I always find reading memoirs extremely interesting to read, so I can not wait to begin reading this book. I will take into count the errors that you have mentioned, so thanks for the warning.

Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Teele »

What I disliked most about this book was that it had a number of errors, which reduced the memoir’s quality and degraded the author’s professionalism.
I hope it gets edited. Nice review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”