Official Review: Digging for God by Tom Hillman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Chameleons
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: Puppy Tales ll by James Vought

Official Review: Digging for God by Tom Hillman

Post by AvidBibliophile »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Digging for God" by Tom Hillman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you ever crave a peaceful escape? Do you fantasize about a soul-healing getaway where birdsongs beckon, rose gardens entice, koi ponds soothe, and the wind rustles gently through the trees? Digging for God by Tom Hillman is a 19-page exploration into one man’s experience at a remote mountain retreat in the hills of Southern California.

A magical three-week stay at this spiritual resort takes ashram visitors on an unforgettable spiritual journey. There are bell gongs and chants, wandering monks, and stretchy displays of pre-meditation calisthenics. An on-site chapel offers a place of reflection and repose, while the entire location is kept deliberately celibate as an estrogen-free zone. There is no talking permitted while residents consume the vegetarian fare, but foreign accents fill the air during the morning gardening sessions. There are occasional invitations to movies, lectures, and sporting activities, but time is primarily spent in thought bubbles of deep contemplation. There is a rigorously meticulous schedule that must be adhered to, primarily consisting of basic meals, ‘farm’ work, and thrice-daily meditation sessions.

The author compares his spiritual journey to the motivations many miners must have felt during the Gold Rush Era. Focused, incentivized, every man for himself… But while they were actively digging for gold, Hillman finds himself ‘digging for God’ amidst rich veins of ‘thought ore.’ Readers can envision the ashram as “a one-stop fulfillment center, where you have the spiritual, the material, and the physical all in one place.” It's a garbanzo paradise that assists residents with learning to redirect negative thoughts, relieve stress, and embrace forgiveness.

I greatly enjoyed the author’s use of descriptive imagery and humorous reflections, and there was a believable sense of brotherly love and camaraderie evident throughout. I also loved the poetic simplicity of phrases like “the contemplative clinking and methodical chewing…” The storytelling pattern simultaneously overlaps two different time components. As Hillman utilizes advancing sections to describe the segmented portions of the typical daily routine, he also includes seasonal variations and mentions certain specialties that are unique to each day of the week. When readers reach the end of the book, they’ve effectively experienced one entire day’s itinerary and the passage of three full weeks.

I did encounter a notable quantity of minor errors, primarily relating to compound words and hyphenation, so another round of thorough editing would be advised. There is no presence of inappropriate language or sexual content. While there is mention of God, Mother Earth, and prayers, this book is far more non-denominational devotional than it is religious. Agnostics would be pleased.

I award Digging for God a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. Other than the errors, I loved everything about it! This title is a quick, informative, and entertaining read. If the editorial concerns were corrected and addressed, I would gladly award this book a full-star rating. I feel it would be appropriate for all ages and backgrounds, especially those who are curious about what routinely occurs at a gender-specific spiritual retreat.

Digging for God
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: Begotten by Joseph Crew

Post by Vic Chimezie »

Seems like a a resort to visit. I really enjoyed reading your review. It was detailed and insightful. Thanks for the recommendation.

Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I like reading spiritual books sometimes. I’ll surely add this to my shelf. Thanks for your amazing review.

Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Wrong
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: Wellness Toolbox by Don Roberts

Post by Dominik_G »

I'm not very much into spiritual books, however I appreciate an insightful personal story. I enjoyed reading your review, thank you!

aftabyunis
2019 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading: The fourth Dimension
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aftabyunis.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by aftabyunis »

I like the title of the book. The writer has chosen quite good name to attract his audience.

Koketso1998
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koketso1998.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Koketso1998 »

I really enjoyed reading your review and look forward to reading the novel. The title is attention grabbing which I really like.

Koketso1998
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koketso1998.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Koketso1998 »

I really enjoyed reading your review. The title of the novel grabbed my attention so I really look forward to reading the book.

Wy_Bertram
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Wy_Bertram »

Very interesting analogy, I actually became more relaxed reading about the retreat. You wrote a fantastic review, thank you.

angelicadiaz91
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by angelicadiaz91 »

Very interesting book!! It so relaxing reading this book all the review is fantastic!! Thank you sooo much

RetiredOBNurse
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RetiredOBNurse »

I crave a peaceful escape! Just reading your review I could put myself in another place and found comfort while there. You write beautifully and your insight is like no other! Thanks for my brief getaway to another day and time...

Kirsi_78
2019 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading: Profiles in Kindness
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-78.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Kirsi_78 »

Interesting book and an interesting resort. I would definitely like to visit once... the world is too busy, it would probably do good to all of us to do such a retreat sometime.

Thanks for your thorough review!

Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: The Two Worlds in Which we Live Physical and Spiritual by Evelyn Rozier

Post by Elvis Best »

This book sounds like such a wonderful experience. Thanks for the excellent review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

AvidBibliophile

Vic Chimezie wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 02:45
Seems like a a resort to visit. I really enjoyed reading your review. It was detailed and insightful. Thanks for the recommendation.
Thanks so much, super glad you enjoyed the review! I'd also like to visit (the female version) of this spiritual resort; I think great healing could be found there.

AvidBibliophile

Honest-reviewer wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 03:02
I like reading spiritual books sometimes. I’ll surely add this to my shelf. Thanks for your amazing review.
Hope you get the chance to experience and enjoy this one too! The author did a fabulous job sharing his reflections in a humorous and entertaining way. Thanks for stopping by!

AvidBibliophile

Dominik_G wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 04:23
I'm not very much into spiritual books, however I appreciate an insightful personal story. I enjoyed reading your review, thank you!
Honestly, I generally avoid most spiritual or faith-based works, but this one was more like a collection of witty and authentic journal entries from the author's 3-week adventure. Thank you for taking the time to check this one out and for sharing your kind thoughts!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”