Official Review: My Pompeii by Connie Brown

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 245
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: The March to Madness by Nelson Dacier
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: My Pompeii by Connie Brown

Post by unamilagra »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Pompeii" by Connie Brown.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ever since learning about the ancient city of Pompeii in elementary school, I have been intrigued by the city’s history and its fateful destruction. My fascination only grew when I was lucky enough to visit the archaeological site in 2012 and see what a bustling city it once was. So when I noticed Connie Brown’s My Pompeii, detailing her own behind-the-scenes trip to the city, I jumped at the chance to review it.

My Pompeii is a short book, and I was able to read it in one sitting. The book begins with a brief account of how the city was buried when Mt. Vesuvius erupted on August 24th, 79 AD. Survivors were few, and once the dust settled, rescue attempts were futile. Over time, the city faded into legend and was eventually forgotten until it was rediscovered by an irrigation expansion project in the 1700s. The book includes the true first-hand account of Pliny the Younger about his own experience viewing the destruction from across the bay in Misenum. The testimony also detailed how his uncle and some friends attempted to escape Pompeii itself. The book concludes with an essay from the author about her own experience traveling to Pompeii after managing to secure a spot as an adult helper on a college trip to participate in an archaeological dig.

My favorite thing about this book was the way it was written. Even though it was short, the writing style was enthralling. The descriptions were compelling enough that I could see what the author was seeing and feel what she was feeling. She described an instance where she came across the casts of 13 people who had died in their home during the explosion. She let her imagination take off and picture who they were, what decisions they made in the crisis, and how they finally perished from the poisonous fumes. She took the time to grieve for the lives lost. Her writing really made me stop and think about the humanity of the situation in a way that I normally haven’t when thinking about Pompeii.

I also really liked the inclusion of the first-hand account of a survivor. Although it makes sense that there would be such reports, I had never heard any or thought about the possibility of any before. The man’s description of the falling fire and ash, the earthquakes, and the noxious gases really brought the disaster to life for me. It makes it incredible to realize how even with stories like this, Pompeii was lost in the rubble for centuries.

There was very little to dislike about this book. Its writing and editing were excellent. The only complaint I can think of is that it left me wanting more. I wish the author had given more information about her work there and what she did, as the opportunity sounds like a dream come true for many. At the same time, I realize that the goal of this book was not to focus on her own work but to bring a human element to the archaeological story, which she accomplished beautifully. I am happy to rate My Pompeii 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to anyone who loves history or wants a different perspective on Pompeii.

My Pompeii
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Wrong
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: Wellness Toolbox by Don Roberts

Post by Dominik_G »

Starting your review with your own personal connection to the topic of the book was a very nice touch. Sounds like an interesting read! Thank you!

Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: PEOPLE DIE IN SUNSHINE
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: Winning the Game of Work by Terry Boyle mcDougall

Post by Vic Chimezie »

It shows that you really enjoyed reading this book. I wish to read this book too. Thank you for your detailed and insightful review.

Wy_Bertram
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Wy_Bertram »

Pompeii, one of the more heartbreaking parts of Roman history. This sounds like a very compelling read, great work on the review.

Hamad14
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Hamad14 »

I would like to have a copy of this book, so as to read what is inside of it, so intresting... keep it up!

Brendan Donaghy
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 175
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Magnificent Sorrow by Kate Horsley

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

I'd like to read this one. I'm also lucky enough to have visited Pompeii, as well as the smaller town of Herculaneum. It makes you feel so close to people who lived thousands of years ago when you can stand in their streets and see the ruts made by the wheels of their chariots! Great review, really enjoyed it.

riyosha
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riyosha.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by riyosha »

I'd love to read it, plus it's a nice review. Thanks
If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough

Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

Good to know that you have visitied the place yourself, and could relate to the story. Thanks for the insightful review.

Wuoketch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wuoketch.html
Latest Review: The Most Unlikely Champion by Vera Koo

Post by Wuoketch »

Sounds so interesting. I would also like to try this book. Nice review.

Kirsi_78
2019 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-78.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Kirsi_78 »

What a compelling story! And really great for you that you had a chance to visit Pompeii, that's something I would once like to do. The history of this place is thrilling and heartbreaking at the same time. Thanks for a nice review!

LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: The Old Farts versus The Fatberg by Pat Stevens
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

Pompeii had been a magical mystery of mine too for a long time! Along with Persia! If I had a time machine, these two places (not sure whether this word fits?... Dimentions? Hhmm...) would be the very first I would visit!

Thank you for such a thorough and inviting review! :)

baha Ibrahim
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baha-ibrahim.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by baha Ibrahim »

Love the story the author tell you what happened that fateful day in Aug AD 79 you will really enjoy this fast paced little book chocked full of emotion and facts. Well worth the read.
:tiphat: Baha :tiphat:

Kanda_theGreat
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

It's been long since I read a historical book that revolves around an archeological site and I'm intrigued about this book enough to check it out.
Great review!

unamilagra
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 245
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: The March to Madness by Nelson Dacier

Post by unamilagra »

Dominik_G wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 03:10
Starting your review with your own personal connection to the topic of the book was a very nice touch. Sounds like an interesting read! Thank you!
Thank you for commenting!

Vic Chimezie wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 07:07
It shows that you really enjoyed reading this book. I wish to read this book too. Thank you for your detailed and insightful review.
I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for stopping by.

Wy_Bertram wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 09:34
Pompeii, one of the more heartbreaking parts of Roman history. This sounds like a very compelling read, great work on the review.
Thank you for your comment!

Hamad14 wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 09:38
I would like to have a copy of this book, so as to read what is inside of it, so intresting... keep it up!
I hope you enjoy the book!

Brendan Donaghy wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 09:39
I'd like to read this one. I'm also lucky enough to have visited Pompeii, as well as the smaller town of Herculaneum. It makes you feel so close to people who lived thousands of years ago when you can stand in their streets and see the ruts made by the wheels of their chariots! Great review, really enjoyed it.
Thanks for your kind words. I hope you enjoy the book!

riyosha wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 13:30
I'd love to read it, plus it's a nice review. Thanks
Thanks for stopping by to comment!

Priyanka2304 wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 22:10
Good to know that you have visitied the place yourself, and could relate to the story. Thanks for the insightful review.

Wuoketch wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 07:24
Sounds so interesting. I would also like to try this book. Nice review.
I hope you enjoy it if you decide to read it!

Kirsi_78 wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 12:41
What a compelling story! And really great for you that you had a chance to visit Pompeii, that's something I would once like to do. The history of this place is thrilling and heartbreaking at the same time. Thanks for a nice review!
Thanks for commenting!

LinaJan wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 16:13
Pompeii had been a magical mystery of mine too for a long time! Along with Persia! If I had a time machine, these two places (not sure whether this word fits?... Dimentions? Hhmm...) would be the very first I would visit!

Thank you for such a thorough and inviting review! :)

baha Ibrahim wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 16:46
Love the story the author tell you what happened that fateful day in Aug AD 79 you will really enjoy this fast paced little book chocked full of emotion and facts. Well worth the read.
Thanks for stopping by!

Kanda_theGreat wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 00:42
It's been long since I read a historical book that revolves around an archeological site and I'm intrigued about this book enough to check it out.
Great review!
I hope you enjoy it if you decide to read it. Thanks for your comment!

FABIAN_BATS
Favorite Book: Can I Be Frank?
Currently Reading: Witnesses to The Crucifixion
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabian-bats.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B07ZT3ZMJ7

Post by FABIAN_BATS »

Historical books can be really unexpectedly interesting. I can tell you had an instant connection with this book. Great review, I may give it a read since it's short and interesting.
Fabian

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”