Official Review: I Know It in My Heart:

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Firstborn Daddyman by Frank Bailey

Official Review: I Know It in My Heart:

Post by Kibetious »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Know It in My Heart:" by Mary E.Plouffe Ph.D..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Martha Ann was confident and imaginative and loved making people laugh from a tender age. She was passionate to see a just world, and she devoted her time to this cause. Her daughter, Liamarie, was born when she was forty-three years old. This was after several years of trying and failing, and thus one cannot imagine the joy that the child brought. However, as the author notes that no one decides their fate, Martha was diagnosed with cancer that led to her accepting a bone marrow transplant at Johns Hopkins. The procedure, a phase II clinical study, was designed to see whether a stem cell transplant could increase the survival rates for patients with high-risk primary tumors. Unfortunately, Martha passed on unexpectedly leaving behind her three and a half-year-old daughter.

I Know It in My Heart: Walking Through Grief With a Child was authored by Mary E. Plouffe. The author is a clinical psychologist and this book chronicles her journey with her young niece. The book was published by She Writes Press in 2017 and is approximately 296 pages long. It comprises forty-nine chapters divided into four sections.

The author presents raw truths about the effects of the loss of a loved one and grieving. She had been growing more intimate with her sister during her last few months. She had lost her father at a young age, but her sister’s demise felt different. The loss could not be compared with any other and every message of condolence evoked a series of questions in her mind. Furthermore, she had to support her young niece Liamarie as well. Liamarie’s mourning came in distinct phases and each one brought different reactions and questions. The author had to walk with her every step of the way while also assisting Liamarie’s father, Herb, to know how to help her daughter.

There is nothing I disliked about the book. The language used was straightforward, and editing was professionally done as well. What I liked most is that the author attained her goal of helping the reader understand the evolution of childhood grief and its differences from adult grief. This was attained through the contrast evident in the book and also how she dealt with her grief and that of Liamarie. Her role shifted between allowing Liamarie to express herself through different channels like doll games and also assisting her to understand some realities in life. I was able to appreciate why she had to adopt a specific course of action as she provided sufficient illustrations. Equally, the use of vivid descriptions enabled me to visualize various scenes and also grasp how the author, her family, and other people felt.

I heartily rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to anyone who is walking with a grieving child. The book is also suitable for mental health workers and anyone who desires to understand the evolution of a child's grief. I cannot perfectly and thoroughly describe how I felt while reading and after reading this book. The only reasonable thing to do, therefore, is to invite all suitable readers to follow the author in her journey to not only help a young girl but also handle her own grief. No one will be left in the same state after poring over this book.

I Know It in My Heart:
View: on Bookshelves
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

Marion Jepkosgei
2019 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marion-jepkosgei.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Marion Jepkosgei »

Wow! After reading the review, I am itching to read the book. Grief is complex and no one really knows how to deal with it.

Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Wrong
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: Wellness Toolbox by Don Roberts

Post by Dominik_G »

What a heartbreaking concept and important subject. I would love to read I Know It in My Heart. Thank you so much for your review!

FEislandqueen13
2019 Reading Goal: 10
Currently Reading: The 19th Bladesman
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feislandqueen13.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by FEislandqueen13 »

I never thought about how children handle the loss of a loved one before reading this review.
Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
:eusa-think: :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss

Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

This is going to be a tough read for me. The books covers a very emotional concept. I really want to see what the author has to say to the readers. Thanks for the amazing review.

thebutterflygirl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thebutterflygirl.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by thebutterflygirl »

This one seems really intriguing . As someone who has struggled in dealing with the grief of losing a loved one, I think I would find it relatable and helpful. Thank you for your beautiful review. :D

baha Ibrahim
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baha-ibrahim.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by baha Ibrahim »

Profound. This book is extraordinary and will surely be a lifeline for many. The truth, love, beauty, joy, sorrow and hope written on each page was beyond anything

Thank you for your review
:tiphat: Baha :tiphat:

TCG
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcg.html
Latest Review: Mother of Peace by Carol Klavon

Post by TCG »

I'm already feeling the emotive tone of this book. Great review. To handle loss, this book seems relevant.

J_odoyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: The Two Worlds in Which we Live Physical and Spiritual by Evelyn Rozier

Post by J_odoyo »

A book chronicling the author's journey with her young niece sounds like a nice one. I like it that you enjoyed the book. I believe it's worth reading an impactful book like this one. Great review!
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison

Patrick Maina1
Currently Reading: The Power of Habit
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patrick-maina1.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath
Reading Device: Moonreader

Post by Patrick Maina1 »

Loss and grief can really get you down.A book that addresses these very emotive issues is worth reading

Reader047
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader047.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Reader047 »

Having read the review, I'm convinced that indeed this is a wonderful book that I must add to my list of favorite books. Thanks for such a great review.

Olabode Joshua
2018 Reading Goal: 200
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

I'm almost teary after reading your review (an exaggeration haha). The loss of a loved one can be devastating. Great review!
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Plum Rains on Happy House by Michael A. Greco

Post by Ellylion »

Great review! The book is must-read for all dealing with grief and loss.

Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: Tales and Adventures of Charlie & Gracie by Jon McGinley

Post by Teele »

The language used was straightforward, and editing was professionally done as well.
Good to know. Thanks for a concise review.

Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Realm Journey
Bookshelf Size: 396
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Susmita Biswas »

That's a sad story. But loved your review. Great one.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”