Review by Leecedar -- The Biblical Clock

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Leecedar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leecedar.html
Latest Review: The Godfathers of Sex Abuse, Book I: Jeffrey Epstein by Deana Pollard Sacks

Review by Leecedar -- The Biblical Clock

Post by Leecedar »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When it comes to the creation of the universe, or the creation of the earth for that matter, for years, I have relied on my faith alone to explain to others the seeming contradiction between scientific study and biblical writings. I usually rely on 2 Peter 3:8-9, which says, “But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord, a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.” Understanding that it is not my responsibility to have answers to all arguments a non-believer might have, I never stressed about that particular can of worms. However, I always like studying the Bible. One of my favorite areas of study is Eschatology, the study of the end times and the events surrounding them.

Daniel Friedmann and Dania Shelton have teamed up to write “The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity.” In it, they do a fine job taking the two apparently conflicting points of view (science vs. bible) and show how they actually say the same thing, if one does due diligence in their research. Friedmann has written three other books on the above-mentioned topics, and this is a culmination of those works. Shelton's writing style is wonderful. In the reading guide at the start of the book, the authors explain that the book is like little journeys in time, both the future and the past. Rather than taking these journeys in chronological order, we are introduced to various topics, and placed in times to understand the viewpoints as they evolved throughout history. Then, we are shown how all the topics come together in the penultimate section. Lastly, the authors ask us to come along and take a glimpse of what the “final battle” might look like. Most of us know that battle as the battle of Armageddon, but the authors refer to it as the battle of Gog and Magog.

This is not an easy book to read. It takes a great deal of concentration to follow Friedmann and Shelton as they explain the patterns of biblical time, scientific time, and how they coincide. I found myself having to put the book down and research a term or an event in order to get a fuller understanding of the subject. Despite the difficulties and the depth of the subject, I enjoyed the book very much.

Being a science fiction and fantasy buff, I loved the time travel aspect of this book, as we got to look at moments in time through the viewpoints of figures such as Isaac Ben Samuel (a scribe in the medieval city of Acre) to Rabbi Chaim Vital, the foremost student of Rabbi Isaac Luria (considered to be the father of the Kabbalah), and even Sir Isaac Newton. Time travel was not used as a gimmick in this book; neither was it used as a focal point. It was merely a valuable tool to set the scene for discoveries and explanations of the subject or event.

I enjoyed the way that the authors kept taking the sub-topics and bringing them back to the main point, which was how God's plan is to eventually eliminate the sin which mankind brought upon himself in the Garden of Eden. I also enjoyed reading the appendices, illustrations, and tables. They helped to clarify some sections as I worked my way through this book. Although intense, the book is thorough and enjoyable. With no profanity or eroticism, this book is safe for young eyes, but it might be a little too complicated for anybody younger than a teenager to understand. I recommend this book to anybody with a studious mind and a point of view that can include the Bible in their thinking. I give it four out of four stars.

The Biblical Clock
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ndiviwe
2021 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndiviwe.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Ndiviwe »

As a Christian I'm definitely going to give this book a read, I'm actually very excited about it. It sounds like a exceptionally interesting read and would streght my faith even more and help me answer some of my questions I have or bring about more questions

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”