Official Review: Better than Harvard by Steve Araba

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BookLoverMC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklovermc.html
Latest Review: Better than Harvard by Steve Araba

Official Review: Better than Harvard by Steve Araba

Post by BookLoverMC »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Better than Harvard" by Steve Araba.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Better Than Harvard by Steve Araba was a good novel that I have decided to rate 2 out of 4 stars. It is extremely relevant at the current moment, given the fact that Harvard has decided to go online for the fall semester, and students are paying thousands of dollars for an online education. It’s quite bizarre when you think about it. I have a friend who’s paid for Harvard in the fall and he’s not pleased with the decision. Araba’s novel analyzes the true value of a university education from schools like Harvard, and questions if it’s the best pathway for students to take in the modern era.

I disagree with the premise of this book. That doesn’t mean I didn’t like the book, it just means that I don’t feel that author did an adequate job proving his points. He says that modern university students are “brainwashed,” but I don’t feel that this is true. At least, I hope not, since I am going to a university this fall myself. Every study that I can find shows that having a good university degree is a great indicator as to how successful you will be later in life. So, I think that university is more valuable than the author makes it out to be.

However, I do agree with the author when he writes, “education is not limited to the four walls of a school.” First of all, university is not the path for everyone. But even if you do go to university, there are so many other life experiences you’ll have that will educate you. I also liked how the author wrote about some of his own personal experiences in here. It gave the book an intimate touch that was very much needed.

Steve Araba went to university himself, graduating with degrees in Computer Information Systems and Public Management, so he knows what it’s like to be a student. He’s working with companies right now on strategy issues and has an organization that helps young men progress in life. He clearly is a very driven person who is motivated to make a difference in the lives of others. I really enjoyed the section towards the end in which Araba asks a series of questions about the future of his readers. It made me think hard about where I am going in life.

So, overall, this was a good novel that is controversial. I didn’t quite agree with the premise of it, but it was well-written. It was well-edited, but I did not like how it was formatted; the lines were double-spaced, and that just made the book feel slightly unprofessional.

Enjoy!

Better than Harvard
View: on Bookshelves
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

In as much as there are people who have 'made it' without formal education, the importance of formal education cannot be overemphasized. It gives refining that might not be gotten elsewhere. However, formal education alone, may not be enough, as is the case most times.
I enjoyed this review. I wish I could understand more of what the author was trying to get across, through this book.
Live and let live, baby.
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

At this time of the pandemic, we have come to realize the benefit of education, and how it can happen in other places other than the four walls of a class.
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

Harvard is known for its campus life. And spending huge bucks over online education be it any institute will only leave a certificate in your hand at the end without that experience. I would love to read the analysis done by the author though.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”