Official Review: a man's late night thoughts by jim richman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 245
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Little Lost Socks by DeeAnn Schumacher
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: a man's late night thoughts by jim richman

Post by unamilagra »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "a man's late night thoughts" by jim richman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We’ve all had thoughts that have come to us while we’re lying in bed late at night: some profound, some humorous, or some that just seem to perfectly capture our feelings at that moment. Author J. Richman kept track of these musings over the years and eventually compiled them into a book called A Man’s Late Night Thoughts.

The book includes 356 short thoughts, one per page. On each page is space for readers to write their own comments. This gives readers the ability to carefully think about each statement and process what it means to them. They can agree or disagree, give an example from their own lives, or use the thought as a springboard for creating statements of their own. Some of his declarations are general philosophical musings, while others seem to have been written in reaction to a specific person or situation. The tone is sometimes lighthearted and humorous: “it’s easy to die for our children / the trick is to live with them.” Other thoughts are ones the author obviously arrived at during times of great pain, such as “much too late a love warns me / I will be the worst thing that ever happens to you /question / why did she have to prove it.”

The entire book is written without capitalization or punctuation, and the frequent line breaks give a poetic quality to the writing. I found this style made some statements confusing, as there was no separation between sentences. I do like that the style lends itself to the theme of one jotting down musings late at night while half asleep. Overall though, the book lacks professional editing. There were several poorly worded statements, and I noticed over ten typos, even discounting the stylistic capitalization and punctuation choices.

Themes vary over a wide spectrum, including love, growing up, hopes and dreams, fantasy vs. reality, how to be a good person, and social issues. Not every thought will connect with every reader, and that’s okay. There is something in this book for everyone that will encourage them to stop and think philosophically or reminisce about past events. I particularly loved the thoughts that caused me to evaluate the way I look at my own life, such as “what would you do / if you were forced / to give up boredom” and “memory is related / to truth / but not its twin.”

Everything considered, I rate A Man’s Late Night Thoughts 3 out of 4 stars. There is enough variety to have something that will make any reader stop and think, and I like that the book encourages the reader to participate and comment. However, it does need another round of professional editing, and I found a few of the statements to be a bit repetitive and similar to one another. I think this would be a great book for those who enjoy journaling or want to take a step back and look at their lives through a new lens.

a man's late night thoughts
View: on Bookshelves

Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Hollywood Marine by Stephen J Osborne

Post by Priyanka2304 »

The concept of the book is intriguing. I hope the editing renders the book a perfect piece to read. Thanks for the amazing review.

Wy_Bertram
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Wy_Bertram »

Great review. I've had late nights thoughts of my own, but good on the author for transforming that into a read.

Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Wrong
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: Wellness Toolbox by Don Roberts

Post by Dominik_G »

Who doesn't have late-night thoughts from time to time? What a great idea to compose a whole book of them! Thank you for your review!

Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: The Two Worlds in Which we Live Physical and Spiritual by Evelyn Rozier

Post by Elvis Best »

I rememeber a time I used to write down my thoughts, too. Kudos to the author for journaling his thoughts and then turning it into a book. I appreciated this informative review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Shaa-33
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shaa-33 »

Its an awesome concept, makes me wonder of my own thoughts. Great job author. Thanks for the review.

Anngladys
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anngladys.html
Latest Review: Selling with Presence by Reggie Pearse

Post by Anngladys »

I love a good, encouraging and humorous book as much as the next person! This one being about journaling just makes me fall more in love with it. I hope I come across it in my reviews. If not, I might go looking for it!!

Wuoketch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wuoketch.html
Latest Review: The Most Unlikely Champion by Vera Koo

Post by Wuoketch »

Sounds so great. I'll add this to my read list. Thanks for the informative review.

gatuguta2030
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatuguta2030.html
Latest Review: The Last Bush Pilots by Eric Auxier

Post by gatuguta2030 »

It looks a wonderful book to read.Good review.

Marion Jepkosgei
2019 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marion-jepkosgei.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Marion Jepkosgei »

Sounds great. I will read it despite the errors, until another edition drops. Honest review right there.

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ellylion »

The lack of punctuation sounds quite discouraging, frankly speaking. :) Thank you for a honest review!

AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Chameleons
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: Puppy Tales ll by James Vought

Post by AvidBibliophile »

This sounds like an intriguing collection of philosophical musings, especially with an occasional humorous component added in! Thank you for sharing such a helpful review. :)

Chiagbanwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiagbanwe.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Chiagbanwe »

I think I'm going to love the book mainly because it sounds like a kind of diary.
The author did a nice job of compiling the late night thoughts into a journal.
Thanks for the review.

unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 245
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Little Lost Socks by DeeAnn Schumacher
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

Priyanka2304 wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 02:21
The concept of the book is intriguing. I hope the editing renders the book a perfect piece to read. Thanks for the amazing review.
Thanks for your comment and kind words!

Wy_Bertram wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 07:38
Great review. I've had late nights thoughts of my own, but good on the author for transforming that into a read.
Thanks for commenting!

Dominik_G wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 08:52
Who doesn't have late-night thoughts from time to time? What a great idea to compose a whole book of them! Thank you for your review!
Thanks for stopping by!

Elvis Best wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 10:23
I rememeber a time I used to write down my thoughts, too. Kudos to the author for journaling his thoughts and then turning it into a book. I appreciated this informative review. Good job!
It seems like it would be fun to go back and review your thoughts from time to time. Thanks for commenting!

Shaa-33 wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 10:31
Its an awesome concept, makes me wonder of my own thoughts. Great job author. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for your comment!

Anngladys wrote:
23 Jul 2020, 00:23
I love a good, encouraging and humorous book as much as the next person! This one being about journaling just makes me fall more in love with it. I hope I come across it in my reviews. If not, I might go looking for it!!
I hope you enjoy it if you decide to check it out!

Wuoketch wrote:
23 Jul 2020, 03:14
Sounds so great. I'll add this to my read list. Thanks for the informative review.
I hope you like it! Thanks for commenting.

gatuguta2030 wrote:
23 Jul 2020, 03:58
It looks a wonderful book to read.Good review.
Thanks for stopping by!

Marion Jepkosgei wrote:
23 Jul 2020, 07:12
Sounds great. I will read it despite the errors, until another edition drops. Honest review right there.
I hope you enjoy it!

Ellylion wrote:
23 Jul 2020, 11:28
The lack of punctuation sounds quite discouraging, frankly speaking. :) Thank you for a honest review!
It was tough at first but once I got used to the style it made sense. Thanks for your comment!

AvidBibliophile wrote:
23 Jul 2020, 13:35
This sounds like an intriguing collection of philosophical musings, especially with an occasional humorous component added in! Thank you for sharing such a helpful review. :)
Thanks for stopping by to comment!

Chiagbanwe wrote:
23 Jul 2020, 13:51
I think I'm going to love the book mainly because it sounds like a kind of diary.
The author did a nice job of compiling the late night thoughts into a journal.
Thanks for the review.
Thanks for your comment!

Josephe-Anne
2019 Reading Goal: 6
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 227
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I can identify with the author because I also stay up late at night just pondering and writing my ideas down. So, I'm glad that he decided to publish his collection of thoughts. I like the fact that he included extra space for readers to write comments and somehow share his experience. Hopefully, the editing issues will be improved.

Your review is excellent!
:techie-studyingbrown:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”