Official Review: UNUM: Infinity and Eternity by Rudy Ernst

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Battling the assassins of your success by Wiley Hughes

Official Review: UNUM: Infinity and Eternity by Rudy Ernst

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "UNUM: Infinity and Eternity" by Rudy Ernst.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

UNUM, written by Rudy Ernst, is a stimulating non-fiction book that mixes science and philosophy. The author reflects on philosophical and scientific concepts to explore how our minds are “trapped in an ocean of time and space that don’t even exist.” In the first part of the book, Ernst dives into science. He analyzes our human senses and how the brain perceives reality. The author also recaps the makeup of atoms and explains quarks, photons, and neutrinos. The following parts of the book present a more philosophical approach. Ernst looks into metaphysics, the branch of philosophy that examines the nature of reality, and he discusses Spinoza, Darwin, and Einstein’s contributions.

I enjoyed how Ernst appears to be enthusiastic and savvy about his areas of writing, and he makes advanced scientific theories easy to understand. Although the book explores complex subjects such as string theory and Einstein’s relativity, it does so in a fun and digestible manner. For instance, I particularly appreciated how the author cleverly explains the strange behavior of subatomic particles. He uses accessible language to examine complex theories.

Above all, the book skillfully connected science and philosophy, and this synthesis was what I liked the most. Some of the best passages deal with the existence of a higher power. I was happily surprised to learn that people who believe in God seem to have a happier life than non-believers or atheists. Also, I was pleased to discover that Einstein felt that “some spirit is manifest in the laws of the universe, one that is vastly superior to that of man.” The author revels in connecting science with messages of peace and tolerance.

On the other hand, I felt that some of the author’s statements about religion seemed a bit judgmental. This aspect was what I disliked the most. Ernst is respectful and has no intention of insulting religions, quite the contrary. However, I wish he had avoided strong adjectives when referring to religious beliefs. Some sentences could have been polished to appear more elegant and steer clear of controversy. For instance, I’d take “absurd” out of the following sentence: “We can all agree that these absurd religious beliefs are symbolic.” For this reason, I’m taking a star away from the rating.

Therefore, I rate UNUM 3 out of 4 stars; it is a pleasurable and engaging read. With a little polishing in the language, I would gladly give it the highest rating. If you enjoy interpretations of science for general audiences as I do, this book is right up your alley. Readers who are sensitive to slightly unconventional viewpoints on religion should consider skipping it.

UNUM: Infinity and Eternity
View: on Bookshelves

Josephe-Anne
2019 Reading Goal: 6
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 227
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

This sounds like a thought-provoking book. I've always been interested in science and philosophy, but I often found that some concepts and theories were very difficult to grasp. I like the fact that the author has made such topics easier for the average person to understand. Despite the controversial wording, I would still read this book.

Thank you for your honest review.
:D
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann

Dayodiola
2019 Reading Goal: 12
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Fear Me Now by Christopher Williams

Post by Dayodiola »

How will we believe humans have the power of invention, without understanding the universe is a creation of one being?

Slater678
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slater678.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Slater678 »

I think I would like reading this book. I like such topics as quarks and dark matter. Thanks for the review.

Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Retire Not Expire by J. L. Edwards

Post by Elvis Best »

This book sounds like a perfect book forme. I look reading non-fiction, and I'm rather obsessed about philosophy. Thank you for such an insightful review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Christieee
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christieee.html
Latest Review: The Greatcoat by Lawrence DAntonio

Post by Christieee »

This book is of the type that will make you lose your mind trying to understand it. I also share similar thoughts with the author, and I can say that I have gone almost crazy trying to understand the concept of time and the human senses.

Great review!

Rachel_Emmanuel
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: The BadRedhead Media 30-Day Book Marketing Challenge by Rachel Thompson

Post by Rachel_Emmanuel »

This sounds like an interesting book. Although science and philosophy is not my forte, i think the review is making me think twice. Lovely review.
#RecordBreaker

Gwen117
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gwen117.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Gwen117 »

Sounds very interested and educational too. I like books that can challenge me mentally and this seems to be filled with interesting philosophical ideas to make me think. I may read this book based on your review.

Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

This book has all what I search in a philosophical book with a blend of science. Would definitely see what this one holds. Thanks for the review.

Unique Ego
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: Energy Dependence Day by Christian F. Burton

Post by Unique Ego »

This seems like a good book for people actually interested in philosophy and deep thinking. Definitely not for me. Thanks for the review, very thoughtful.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”