Official Review: Community Association Manager’s St...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: Crossing The Crevasse by W Wallace Wagner Jr

Official Review: Community Association Manager’s St...

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Community Association Manager’s Standard Manual and Guide" by Thomas A. Westerkamp.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you in the property and real estate business? Do you belong to any of the over 344,500 community associations in the United States? Then you need to get Community Association Manager's Standard Manual and Guide by Thomas A. Westerkamp into your bookshelf right now. Better still, you need to make it your regular study material if you desire to succeed in the real estate world.

This book looks at every aspect of property ownership and management as it concerns the real estate business. The author discusses core issues such as setting up an association board, financing, legalities, and property maintenance. He also explains in detail the three different community associations, their structures, and the principal officers that constitute their board. In a nutshell, this book provides answers to questions bordering around property ownership and real estate management.

One of the outstanding things about this book is that the author is an authority in his own right on matters regarding property management and real estate development. With over 40 years of property management experience under his belt, he has earned bragging rights to write a manual to guide students and professionals in this field. Most of the things he shares in this book aren't textbook knowledge; they are products of his years of experience. The author does an excellent job of thoroughly explaining all that the reader needs to learn from this book — he left no stone unturned.

My best aspect of this book was the third chapter, where the author discussed the legalities involved in property ownership and real estate management. He was both concise and detailed in addressing 27 matters that could require legal assistance. After reading through, I concluded that there couldn't be any more reason for community association board members to involve the law (I could be wrong). This was how much of a thorough job I believed the author did in this book. He went further to proffer smart ways to save money if you were involved in a legal battle — everyone and their grandmother knows the financial implication of legal matters. The author mostly made a strong case for the preparation for possible legal fallouts and natural disasters.

Another thing I liked about this book was the author's thoughtfulness in providing additional resources at the end of most chapters. This showed the author's desire to give the reader a holistic experience while studying the manual. The author also used relevant samples to demonstrate how the reader should implement some of the things learned from this manual. There were two examples in this. The first was a sample of an association and property management agreement — for cases when a cooperative didn't want to manage their properties by themselves. The second was a sample of Reserve Advisors' reserve study. This provides the education and direction needed to proceed with the legalities of real estate business. These samples would provide the reader with templates to follow.

Everything about this book is on point — writing, editing, and delivery. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. As the title suggests, this book will benefit community association managers. Anyone interested in property management and real estate will also find this book helpful.

Community Association Manager’s Standard Manual and Guide
View: on Bookshelves

aaurba
2019 Reading Goal: 48
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaurba.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by aaurba »

This looks like one of the best comprehensive guides to being a community association manager. I am a bit interested in real estate, but I do not plan to be a CAM in the near future so I'll pass on this one.
“Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like.”
― Lemony Snicket

Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Hollywood Marine by Stephen J Osborne

Post by Priyanka2304 »

Property management and real estate business have a lot of legalities surrounding them. This sounds like a useful guide for the intended audience. Thanks for the review.

Slater678
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slater678.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Slater678 »

I'm an aspiring real estate agent and I think the book may give me valuable tips on this business. thanks for the wonderful review.

Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: The Two Worlds in Which we Live Physical and Spiritual by Evelyn Rozier

Post by Elvis Best »

This book seems like such a great resource for anyone in a community association in the United States. Thanks for the informative review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Wrong
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: Wellness Toolbox by Don Roberts

Post by Dominik_G »

I can't say I'm deeply interested in property management or real estate, however, this book sounds like a truly useful tool for those who are. Thank you for your well-written, detailed review!

Wuoketch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wuoketch.html
Latest Review: The Most Unlikely Champion by Vera Koo

Post by Wuoketch »

Those who are into the run real estate business will entirely benefit from this book. The author did an amazing job for writing this book. Nice review.

TCG
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcg.html
Latest Review: Mother of Peace by Carol Klavon

Post by TCG »

This book is crucial for people that have investment plans. I like it

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”