Review by Imperio -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Imperio
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: A Man Called Ove
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imperio.html
Latest Review: The Black Recluse by Bill Passmore

Review by Imperio -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Imperio »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you ever plan to read a book about business and entrepreneurship in your life, this is the book to read.

Burn Zones, written by Jorge P. Newbery, is an autobiography that extracts the lessons the author learned from events in his life. As the reader, we get an intimate understanding of the mindset and circumstances that led to his childhood entrepreneurial endeavors, professional biking career, adult loan originator job, real-estate mogul experiences, massive debt nightmare, and recovery ventures. From the very beginning, the author immediately launches into a recounting of his story in a formal, yet conversational story-telling manner. The author describes “burn zones” to be “relatively short periods of extraordinary effort that separated the winners and losers,” and labels the challenging moments in his life as “burn zones.” Throughout the book, the author's demonstrated mentality and actions during these "burn zones" teach the reader the quality of true perseverance.

I honestly was not planning on reading this book. Having read dozens of self-help autobiographies, I am generally wary about picking up yet another one. However, I decided to sample this book and before I knew it, I was hooked.

Burn Zones sets itself apart from other autobiographies about entrepreneurship and business because the author has so many failures to share. It makes sense to take advice from successful moguls, but I think people sometimes overlook the importance of learning from those who have failed. Don’t get me wrong, the author certainly implements successful, ingenious business strategies that I have learned from. In fact, for a time, the author had millions upon millions of dollars in his bank account. However, the author is forthcoming with his mistakes, which the reader has the rare opportunity to learn from.

This was easily my favorite element of the book. I have dozens of highlighted notes throughout the book where the author clearly lays out where he went wrong. One particular reflection that spoke to me explains, “During this period, I never stepped back and took a global assessment to make proactive decisions. Instead, I made decisions in a reactionary mode, akin to those on a battlefield.”

There was no element of this book that I disliked. Thus, for its ability to teach me financial and life lessons through the author's experiences, I rate Burn Zones 4 out of 4 stars. This book was well-edited and I can’t recommend this book enough to anybody interested in reading about the mentality needed to succeed in our tumultuous world. I would also recommend this book to people who have recently gone through a difficult time, or in other words, a “burn zone.” I will note that there is profanity in this book, though, which makes it unsuited for younger audiences.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”