Official Review: The Boy Behind the Gate by Larry Jacobson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christieee
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christieee.html
Latest Review: The Greatcoat by Lawrence DAntonio

Official Review: The Boy Behind the Gate by Larry Jacobson

Post by Christieee »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Boy Behind the Gate" by Larry Jacobson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Everyone loves an adventure, but not everyone is brave enough to live it. Larry Jacobson was brave, and he has chronicled his experience while circumnavigating the world in the book: The Boy Behind the Gate. In this piece, the author shows us how he accomplished his boyhood dream of touring around the world as the captain of his yacht. From Larry, I learned how important it is to have the courage to let go of the good and aim for the great, no matter the risk.

It was after a terrible childhood accident that Larry uncovered his passion for boats. As a young boat-racer, whenever he stood behind the Golden Gate, he watched ships leave their docks to travel the world and wished to be in their place. Even as a boy, Larry knew that all it would take to achieve his dream was a little patience and hard work. His perseverance led him to orbit the world for six years. Thus, the boy behind the gate finally became a sailor.

As an adult, choosing to leave for the sea came with difficult choices: Abandoning a well-paying job, leaving a life-partner of over twenty years, finding a suitable boat, and so on. Still, with the aid of his supportive family and friends, Larry completed his to-do list and set sail. While at sea, he found a new love in Ken and met many unforgettable new friends. However, just like everyday life on land, life while on a cruise is as tricky as ever. Will his relationship with Ken survive the turbulence of the sea? When Larry is ready to move back to life in San Francisco, how will he fit in? Through his journal entries, emails, and ship logs, we find out the answers and more.

Deserving of a rating of 3 out of 4 stars, this book was an eye-opening experience for me. Through Larry, I journeyed around the world and felt the waves of the ocean beat my body while filling my heart. There was mention of many countries that I had no idea existed. Not only did I learn their names, but I also got a glimpse into the cultural practices of these foreign lands. At first, the author used a narrative style. He later opted to use his journal entries, ship logs, and emails. By doing so, he gives the audience a firsthand, honest and direct experience of the cruising life. Every event followed a natural progression, as I was able to see the author’s childhood and the reason for his passion. The author also included pictures, which further heightened my feeling of being on the journey with him.

I appreciated that the author was honest about his experiences while being proud of who he is and accepting the mistakes he made. He made it clear that the cruising life is, in fact, not always a cruise. In between, there are hard decisions, constant repairs, fear of pirates, unending expenses, and strains in relationships. I loved that the author never hid the problematic parts. Instead, he turned his problems into lessons that people after him can emulate. Also, at the beginning of every chapter, there were quotes from renowned people that I found uplifting. It turns out that wisdom learned at sea can apply to the bustle of living on land.

While there was much to like about this book, I found it burdensome to read the author’s journal entries. This was because, at various points, they were too wordy. Also, it was challenging to keep up with the technical aspect of the book. The writer included many specialized navigation terms, whose meanings I often had to research. This disrupted my reading flow considerably. It would have been more helpful if there was a glossary explaining those terms. Owing to these reasons, I have deducted one star.

This book was professionally edited, as I only found minor errors. The author mentioned his being gay throughout the book, and so, I advise that anyone sensitive or opposed to such a lifestyle should not read it. While the book contains mild eroticism such as hugging and cuddling, it contains no profanity or vulgar language. I highly recommend this book to readers who want to live an adventure vicariously through someone else. I especially recommend this book to people interested in boat-cruising, as it can be a much-needed guide on things to do before the cruise, and more importantly, life on the sea.

The Boy Behind the Gate
View: on Bookshelves

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Open House by Jane Christmas

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

By your eloquent review, I can feel how awe-inspiring this book was for you. It takes a lot of courage to get out of one's comfort zone and leave their life behind to travel around the world on a boat. Thank you for your compelling review.

Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: The Two Worlds in Which we Live Physical and Spiritual by Evelyn Rozier

Post by Elvis Best »

I love reading about other people's adventures, and I'd def enjoy reading this book. Thanks for the informative review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

kathy2705
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathy2705.html
Latest Review: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life by Lewis Kempfer
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by kathy2705 »

It is always inspiring to read about other people's adventures. Through characters like Larry one can pick up the courage to live an adventure of their own. Great review!

rahilshajahan
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: The Juicy Fruit Man by LaMar Going

Post by rahilshajahan »

I enjoy a book by how vivid and evocative the author presents the protagonist's surroundings and thoughts. As a reader, it makes it easier for me to run the movie in my mind. I am glad to find that the author introduces Larry to multiple countries and cultures. Thank you for an in-depth review. Great job!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright

gatuguta2030
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatuguta2030.html
Latest Review: The Last Bush Pilots by Eric Auxier

Post by gatuguta2030 »

This is such an interesting adventure to read.

Letora
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 92
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

It sounds like a wonderful rendition of life at sea. I would be lost with the terminology used as well. I agree that a glossary would be a good addition to those of us who are unfamiliar with the language.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

baha Ibrahim
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baha-ibrahim.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by baha Ibrahim »

The stories in this book will captivate and amuse you whether you're a sailor or not. It's awesome to hear the narrator tell his own story
Thank you for review
:tiphat: Baha :tiphat:

Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: Effective Leaders and Leadership by Mildred Stallworth

Post by Star_and_Buck »

I am inspired by just reading the review. The book would be while ocean of inspiration. Thanks for the review.

TADSAILS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tadsails.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by TADSAILS »

I love stories that give readers a taste of possible success when you follow your dreams. Nice review.

The_Vivian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-vivian.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by The_Vivian »

From your review, I already find the story quite intriguing and would love to read it. Going on an cruise is one thing I would love to do one day and if this book would prepare me a little for it then I am already a fan. Nice review.

Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: Begotten by Joseph Crew

Post by Vic Chimezie »

Your review was both detailed, engaging and informative. Thank you for your recommendation. Accepting one's mistake is important if we must move forward. Thank you!

Wy_Bertram
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Wy_Bertram »

Sounds quite inspiring. I've often wondered about cruising myself, but that courage part is really true. Nice work on the review. 👌

Joan64
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan64.html
Latest Review: Call Me Pomeroy by James Hanna

Post by Joan64 »

After reading your very insightful review, I could feel how inspired you were by the book. It is not easy for someone to leave his comfort zone and go the extra mile.

Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Teele »

baha Ibrahim wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 18:33
The stories in this book will captivate and amuse you whether you're a sailor or not. It's awesome to hear the narrator tell his own story
Thank you for review
Seems this is a book I would love to read. Good review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”