Review by shinypuppies -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shinypuppies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shinypuppies.html
Latest Review: Superbugs by Tayma Tameem

Review by shinypuppies -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by shinypuppies »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

At just seven-years-old, Jorge Newbery received his first job as a paperboy, already looking to make money at such an early age. He drops out of high school wanting to focus on his business. Newbery begins the book describing his experience as a competitive bicycler, mentioning “burn zones” which describe the challenging periods of immense effort used during his races. Throughout this narrative, he finds ways to persevere through the burn zones of life, never giving up on his goals. Even when a tragic ice storm hits, giving him a $26 million debt hanging over his head, he decided to continue and push through that particularly intense burn zone even after losing nearly everything.

Jorge Newbery’s Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands is a fascinating and inspiring memoir filled with his experiences as a successful entrepreneur, forced to face the consequences of taking part of the risks associated with business. From a child to a teenager to an adult, Jorge Newbery learned and grew from his mistakes. As a large risk taker, Newbery owned many successful businesses and investments but also accepted challenges too great to be fixed.

What I enjoyed most were the meaningful life lessons in this book. Jorge Newbery treated people well, and generally received the same treatment in return. He never gave up when faced with a challenge and in return was able to rebuild himself successfully. He worked hard and therefore gained what he deserved in return. He spent a great deal of time helping others. He noticed the problems with social and economic inequality and decided to help those victimized at the center of those conflicts. Hard work, perseverance, and kindness were what allowed Jorge Newbery to reach his limits.

Reading this book, I felt inspired by the way Jorge Newbery handled all these challenges and was able to rise again from multiple conflicts. Even though he faced opposition with many authority figures who waited for and expected his failure after the ice storm, he continued to do everything he could to ensure his success. As he struggled to reinvent himself and his businesses, he was still able to set his eyes on a goal and achieve it.

Burn Zones is a very well-written, well-edited book that will attract those interested in business and influential stories. I did not dislike any part of this book for it was not only well-written, it was also a fantastic story. This book is most appropriate for teens and adults because it contains a few profane words.

Although I do not often enjoy autobiographies, this one kept me captivated and wanting to keep on reading. Burn Zones is a memorable story and I give it 4 out of 4 stars because it brings noteworthy messages and an inspirational story.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”