Review by ashleighpearce -- The Secrets To Living A Fan...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ashleighpearce
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashleighpearce.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by ashleighpearce -- The Secrets To Living A Fan...

Post by ashleighpearce »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life..." by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Do you know how pearls are formed? When a foreign substance slips into the oyster, it irritates the shell and its organ. From that irritation, a tantalizing, mesmerizing, exquisite pearl is formed.” This quote, taken directly from The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life..., represents the essence of what this book is trying to convey. The co-authors, Dr. Allen Lycka and Harriet Tinka, have each experienced a traumatic and life-changing situation in their respective pasts that almost left them in the hands of death. In this non-fiction book, they have used their individual experiences to turn their lives around and create 13 golden pearls of wisdom that readers can implement to live a valuable life.

Each chapter represents a golden pearl and contains a short story explaining the concept of the golden pearl, followed by a discussion between the co-authors. You discover the importance of each pearl, why you should implement them in your life, and there is a continual emphasis on not allowing past experiences to define your present.

I thought this book was exceptionally well-written and highly informative while maintaining a casual tone. This (and the fact that the book was mostly in the format of a dialogue) made it a fun and interesting read. The playful conversation between the co-authors was an ingenious way to engross the reader - it also provided a more light-hearted approach to the emotive content in the book. I thoroughly enjoyed the short stories included at the beginning of each chapter; they were all very well chosen and effectively demonstrated the concepts that the authors wanted to portray.

There was a relatively graphic section about the physical abuse that Harriet Tinka experienced in her past, which made me feel sick to my core. I do, however, understand that this was a crucial inclusion in the book and do not feel that it degraded the book in any shape or form. For anyone that has suffered physical abuse, I urge you to skip over this part as it may evoke traumatic feelings for you.

I felt that The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... was emotionally engaging, thought-provoking, and I can honestly say that I have learned some invaluable life lessons by reading it. I could not pick up any errors in the book and thought it to be very well edited. For this reason, I have decided to give the book 4 out of 4 stars. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who has had their life changed drastically and is looking to find meaning within themselves. Although, if you do not fall into this category, I would suggest reading it anyway – it will be extremely worth your while.

The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life...
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”