Official Review: Swimming Among Sharks by Suzanne C. Nagy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennydelacruz.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Official Review: Swimming Among Sharks by Suzanne C. Nagy

Post by jennydelacruz »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Swimming Among Sharks" by Suzanne C. Nagy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How long does it take to complete a movie or a film? A year or two, maybe three? Ever heard of a movie that’s more than three decades in the making? That’s right, more than three decades! That’s even longer than the time I have been on Earth so far. My curious self wants to comprehend why it took this long to release a film.

Those questions were answered by this book Swimming Among Sharks by Suzanne C. Nagy as she takes us behind the scenes of the movie Grizzly II: Revenge. This movie was originally scheduled to be released in 1984. Three decades later, Suzanne Nagy decided to complete the film. This is a 94-page narrative told from a first-person perspective and one can finish reading it pretty quickly.

Suzanne’s family is not trusted by the current communist regime in Hungary. A bit of alienation is evident in the lack of opportunities for them in the country although they aren’t considered enemies of the state. Her mother, despite having a doctorate degree and skills in speaking four languages, could hardly get any job. Her father came from a family that wasn’t trusted because his mom was persona non grata during communism, therefore, he inherited that “not to be trusted” reputation. As if that wasn’t burdensome enough, Suzanne married an American who came to Budapest. Despite the diplomatic and bilateral relationship, Hungarians are still indifferent towards the United States during this time, hence the extra hostility towards her and her family by other people, even friends.

She had attended a program for writers and producers and that’s how she started getting into the filmmaking industry. Nagy had a contract with Hungarofilm, the artificial arm of the film industry known for the government informers. She worked as a representative and served as a liaison between American producers and the Hungarian film industry. While working on a current movie project, another film producer who wanted to make movies in Hungary contacted her and invited her to come to Chicago for a meeting. Weeks later after that initial meeting, they signed a deal for a three movie projects. The first film that they agreed to was a sequel to the movie that was distributed in 1975, Grizzly I. Here comes the rollercoaster of events and emotions; from the exhilarating preparation, endless travel back and forth, numerous meetings, tedious permit application, successful concert and the insane drama that Nagy had to face and endure. Man, I thought I was draining my brain cells reading through all the works that she was doing. It is well known that she got a partner, and this is what’s extremely annoying. The partner started ignoring her calls and she had to take decisions on her own, having to deal with everything practically alone.

The real behind the scene events are crazier than I thought. I genuinely felt Nagy’s rage, desperation, anger, and stress. In a way, I felt connected with her exhaustion in the midst of the chaotic and messy situation that she was in. That first-person perspective writing style is commendable and the book couldn’t have been written any better. “I didn’t realize that being successful is not only due to hard work and preparation, but you need to be tough, experienced, vigilant, and able to say no.” This is one of those statements that got stuck on my mind after reading the book.

I spotted a couple of misspellings but I wasn’t at all bothered nor annoyed. There was no profane language or erotic content. This book might appeal to those Grizzly movie fans that have been waiting for the sequel. They would be able to get a clear picture as to why part two was not released on the scheduled date. Readers who would like to know about film production in the 80’s may equally find the book useful. I didn't find anything that I despise, therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Swimming Among Sharks
View: on Bookshelves
Ms_Rita30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-rita30.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ms_Rita30 »

I am not a Grizzly movie fan but I admire Nagy's resilience and hardwork. It helped her to overcome several challenges she encountered. Your review is both informative and interesting. I enjoyed reading it.
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

A mode not to buckle under pressure that is necessary for survival. Nice review
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

A movie that took more than three decades to make! Wow, that's a pretty long time.
“I didn’t realize that being successful is not only due to hard work and preparation, but you need to be tough, experienced, vigilant, and able to say no.”
This quote speaks volumes to me, too. Thank you for the excellent review, Jenny. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Post by J_odoyo »

I'm not a movie fan, but from your review I can tell that this is a great book. Thanks for this wonderful review!
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:

Post by jennydelacruz »

Ms_Rita30 wrote: 19 Jul 2020, 02:19 I am not a Grizzly movie fan but I admire Nagy's resilience and hardwork. It helped her to overcome several challenges she encountered. Your review is both informative and interesting. I enjoyed reading it.
Her resilience amidst the messy situation was indeed remarkable. Thank you so much for stopping by :)
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:

Post by jennydelacruz »

Dayodiola wrote: 19 Jul 2020, 02:42 A mode not to buckle under pressure that is necessary for survival. Nice review
Thank you for commenting, Dayodiola :)
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:

Post by jennydelacruz »

Elvis Best wrote: 19 Jul 2020, 03:30 A movie that took more than three decades to make! Wow, that's a pretty long time.
“I didn’t realize that being successful is not only due to hard work and preparation, but you need to be tough, experienced, vigilant, and able to say no.”
This quote speaks volumes to me, too. Thank you for the excellent review, Jenny. Good job!
Thank you so much for always supporting my reviews, Elvis Best :) I really appreciate your kind words on every review that I make.
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:

Post by jennydelacruz »

J_odoyo wrote: 19 Jul 2020, 06:38 I'm not a movie fan, but from your review I can tell that this is a great book. Thanks for this wonderful review!
A great book, indeed! Thanks for your kind words, J_odoyo!
Miks_solon
Favorite Book: Inviting Muslims to Christ
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miks-solon.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Miks_solon »

Your introductory part is intriguing; it piqued my interest. The summary was comprehensive, too.
"Sometimes we need fantasy to survive the reality"
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

This book seems really interesting. Thanks for your brilliant review!
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

I really loved the way you started your review. That left me in peels of laughter. A wonderful review, indeed. Would definitely check this book.
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:

Post by jennydelacruz »

Miks_solon wrote: 19 Jul 2020, 07:54 Your introductory part is intriguing; it piqued my interest. The summary was comprehensive, too.
Thank you so much for your kind words, Miks_solon. :wink:
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:

Post by jennydelacruz »

Honest-reviewer wrote: 19 Jul 2020, 09:24 This book seems really interesting. Thanks for your brilliant review!
Thanks a lot for stopping by, Honest-reviewer :tiphat:
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:

Post by jennydelacruz »

Priyanka2304 wrote: 19 Jul 2020, 23:25 I really loved the way you started your review. That left me in peels of laughter. A wonderful review, indeed. Would definitely check this book.
Your words are music to my ears, er, eyes :lol: Thank you so much, Priyanka2304 :)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”