Review by lica20 -- The Secrets To Living A Fantastic L...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lica20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lica20.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by lica20 -- The Secrets To Living A Fantastic L...

Post by lica20 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life..." by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever heard that anyone has something to teach? For this reason, I wanted to introduce from beginning the key-theme for reading "The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life" written by Dr. Allen Lycka and Harriet Tinka.
"Is not what happens to you. It's what you do with what happens". That is a well-known quote from a Greek philosopher called Epictetus. The fact is that many people struggle at some point in life, or at least think so, and this phrase still teaches us so many things as advice and lifestyle. Keep it in mind while reading this book.
Since the book was mostly written as a dialogue, it is easy to read and understand even the scientific approaches.

Dr. Lycka was misdiagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) and had six months to live according to the doctor's diagnosis.
Harriet Tinka, the co-author, is an accountant, marathon runner, and former model, but she has also faced dark moments in the past. She was a victim of an abusing relationship, was kidnapped, and suffered emotional trauma from all those events.
At this point, they both could surpass these difficulties, and we are lucky, as readers, to be able to know how they did it and the lessons to make our lives a fantastic experience. In a nutshell, the book presents thirteen main lessons, the Golden Pearls, which is going to guide through this process of self-known.

It is all about inspiring quotes but taking action as well. What I liked most was the narrative shared through the authors during the anecdotes and the way we can relate to our actual situation. Due to being published recently, it surprised me how they referred to the COVID19 issue as the "Great Pandemic of 2020" and used it as a theme for a chapter including a Golden Pearl. Plus, the book was professionally edited, with no downsides, in my opinion.

There were a lot of sad moments described, however very well articulated, and used to highlight the outcomes and show us the meaning of a fantastic life. Practically, describing the "ying-yang" the bad and the good, and how it may appear to us, as coexistent factors.
I did not spot any profanity or sexual themes during reading. I believe it would be recommended for the most public regardless of some psychological instances about the emotional trauma, as mentioned before, which may not be suitable for some people.

Different from other books I have already read from the same gender, this was not an average self-help guide book. The authors used scientific and philosophical approaches and many references. For example, the quotes wrote from many people, which we can also search more later, and be even more inspired.

Lastly, the lesson that touched me more was: "Our struggles in life develop our strengths and victories."
Struggling is also a step to be successful! How could I never think about it? I don't know, but something just switched on my mind after that. I was very happy with the authors mentioning, "Ikigai" that is, things that make one's life worthwhile, and how it builds the word "Crisis" in the Chinese language.
As a linguist, it was a delightful reading, that is why I will rate this book four out of four stars. I am looking forward to future editions.

The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life...
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”