Official Review: The Children of My Knee by Len Cooper

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Firstborn Daddyman by Frank Bailey

Official Review: The Children of My Knee by Len Cooper

Post by Kibetious »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Children of My Knee" by Len Cooper.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What was life like for the ordinary blacks in Birmingham during the peak of the Civil Rights Movement? How did the ‘hand-to-mouth’ workers feel when they were forced to boycott the businesses of those who employed them? Was slavery still being practiced in the South in the twentieth century?

The narration of the author’s story begins on September 15, 1963, when as he was on his way to church there was a deafening explosion. The fight to end racial prejudice had taken an ugly and unthinkable turn when a bomb was placed in a church basement that was serving as a Sunday school class. Four innocent children died, and many others were injured. While this appeared on the headlines of leading international newspapers, not a single word was mentioned about it in the local papers of Birmingham. Such hatred based solely on the color of one’s skin fueled the author’s desire to find a home elsewhere. Years later, his journey in a seminary was cut short when he published articles that revealed the rot that had affected the system. Would he still find a home?

The Children of My Knee is a memoir authored by Len Cooper. The book is approximately 391 pages long and consists of 23 chapters. In this book, one is led through many paths and adventures that eventually combine to generate an enthralling and remarkable story. The book adequately addresses the consequences of unmet expectations. For instance, the reader is inspired to examine not only what they believe but also why they believe. I found this to be very important and necessary because the result is that one will either discard some beliefs or develop stronger convictions about them.

There are many fundamental subjects candidly discussed in the book. What I liked most, however, is that the author reveals the predicament of the ordinary folk during the peak of the Civil Rights Movement. The information contained in the book reveals how casual laborers had to lose their grueling jobs, and hence some were not supporters of Martin Luther King Jr. One realizes how many were caught in between the hard rock and the sea. They had to either support the noble cause and undoubtedly lose their jobs or unwillingly oppose it and continue being mistreated but with their jobs intact. The author described everything vividly such that I recognized the kind of dilemma people faced and why they made certain decisions. The author’s integrity, courage, and passion cannot be understated. He never backed down easily and even when the obstacles appeared overwhelming he did not give up.

There is nothing I disliked about the book. The language used was straightforward, and editing was professionally done as well. I was not only able to derive many lessons from the book, but I also learned a lot, especially concerning racial discrimination. This is the story of a person whose dreams were shattered, but he ultimately discovered his true passion. I heartily rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. It will appeal to ardent fans of memoirs.

The Children of My Knee
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by khaulah »

Non-fictional books help the reader to understand the truth better. As I understand from your review, this book would be helpful in understanding the situation of ordinary folk during those trying times. I think I'll learn alot from this book if I get to read it. Thanks for your insightful review!

Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Wrong
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: Wellness Toolbox by Don Roberts

Post by Dominik_G »

I love passionate, well-written memoirs addressing not only the personal level of certain events and situations, but the wider, social ones too. Thank you for your detailed review!

J_odoyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: The Two Worlds in Which we Live Physical and Spiritual by Evelyn Rozier

Post by J_odoyo »

I'm a great fan of autobiographies, and I think I'll enjoy this one. Thanks for your great review!
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison

Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: The Two Worlds in Which we Live Physical and Spiritual by Evelyn Rozier

Post by Elvis Best »

This review has really piqued my interest to read the book. Thanks for the insightful review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Hollywood Marine by Stephen J Osborne

Post by Priyanka2304 »

The title of the book is so unique and the theme of this book is very intriguing. Thanks for the amazing review.

JeanyJean
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanyjean.html
Latest Review: The Juicy Fruit Man by LaMar Going

Post by JeanyJean »

Very interesting title and book cover. Finding out that the civil rights movement is part of this story makes me believe that it must be a master piece. I love such books ,they tell the truth that would otherwise remain untold. Wonderful work done in writing the review.

Reader047
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader047.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Reader047 »

The story sounds interesting. The review is well-crafted thus leading!

JLBlumenstock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlblumenstock.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by JLBlumenstock »

A timely book, indeed. As the BLM movement explodes and makes me want to learn more, I find myself drawn to non-fiction and memoirs like this that can give me a greater understanding of systemic racism in America. I look forward to hearing it firsthand from this author.

Patrick Maina1
Currently Reading: The Power of Habit
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patrick-maina1.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath
Reading Device: Moonreader

Post by Patrick Maina1 »

There is something very emotive about memoirs.This one creativel handles one of the most sensitive issues;racism.Beautiful review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”