Review by Agnes Masobeng -- Creating Literary Stories: A...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 399
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by Agnes Masobeng -- Creating Literary Stories: A...

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer’s Guide by William H. Coles is a writer's guide as the title indicates.

This is fast-paced non-fiction of 120 pages. I have to admit, it got me hooked from the first page. The author used a simple language which can be understood by anyone. I never had to stop for a while to check for the meaning of a word or a phrase in the dictionary. Rather, the author took his time to define and describe all the literary terminologies. Just to add a cherry on top of the cake, there was an appendix at the end of the story.

Creating Literary Stories is composed of two books (Book One and Book Two). Each book is divided into chapters. As I started reading, I navigated through the table of contents which was included in the first pages. The table of contents was incredibly beneficial because it assisted me in knowing what to expect in the entire book.

Book One covers the basic elements of fiction, how to develop characters, dialogue (when to include dialogue and how to go about it), the difference between first-person narration, second-person narration and third-person narration. There is more interesting content covered in this book but I don't want to reveal any spoilers.

Book Two covers the fundamentals of telling a story, how to engage the reader and how to create the story that comes alive. I have already mentioned this before but, I will repeat it. Not only does the author tell the reader how to do things, but he also demonstrates to the reader how to do it.

For example, instead of narrating, "The sight of the scruffy woman’s sores as she held out her hand for money made Marcie want to cry." William H. Coles indicates that the author can phrase their scene in the following manner, "The beggar sat cross-legged, reaching up with an open, shaking hand. The sores on her palm were wet and looked contagious. Marcie stepped back and took a dollar bill from her purse, dropping it toward the hand from a safe distance. The bill settled to the ground five feet from the beggar; a scruffy child lunged from the shadows of the highway overpass and disappeared with the gift. Marcie dug into her purse again and found a $20 bill, placed it in the beggar’s hand, and walked away."

What I liked the most about this book is how the author explained the concept of in-scene narration. Not only that, but he included examples to show how it is done. It honestly captured my whole being as an aspiring author. I also liked the whole of chapter 5 in Book Two. Revision. Everything else that has been covered in the entire book, is summarised and simplified here. Wow, what else is there to ask for from Wiliam H. Coles? There was nothing I disliked about reading this book.

It is my pleasure to rate Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide a perfect 4 out of 4 stars. Although there were minor inconsistencies like formatting and missing articles, the book seemed to have been professionally edited. I, therefore, recommend it to literature teachers, authors and anyone who is interested in understanding Literature in depth. Lastly, this book can be read by anyone regardless of their religious beliefs and there is no profanity or whatsoever.

Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

This book will be useful for the ones who are learning how to write good fiction books. I liked his writing style. Thanks for the honest review.
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 399
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

bookreviewmi1111 wrote: ↑25 Jul 2020, 06:02 This book will be useful for the ones who are learning how to write good fiction books. I liked his writing style. Thanks for the honest review.
Oh, thank you for stopping by. Aspiring author's can truly benefit from this book. Even literature teachers.
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”