Review by Kirobooks31 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kirobooks31
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirobooks31.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Review by Kirobooks31 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kirobooks31 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

George is determined to accomplish his goals even when life gets tough. Jorge started accomplishing many of his dreams from a young age, He was first a newspaper delivery boy, and later he started selling ice cream. Gorge started working as a busboy when he was 13. On this particular job, he demonstrated to be more serious and dedicated to his work than his older co-workers. His dedication and ambition are a common theme throughout the book.

Jorge drop out of high school when he realized that school was becoming mundane and that he needed real-life exposure. He then started his own successful record company. He was in need of a new pursuit and joined the cycling Olympics. He was awarded several titles throughout his cycling marathons, but a setback discouraged him from continuing his cycling career. He then accepted a job offer from Univest Home Loans. Through this job, he learned about lending and investing, which later on in life brought him great profit. All the work and dedication that took him years was wiped out by an iced storm.

BURN ZONES: PLAYING LIFE'S BAD HANDSby Jorge P. Newbery is written for young adults and adults alike. The first thing that came to my mind as I started reading the book was that I was going to enjoy it because he touched on topics that I am not accustomed to reading such as sports, economic growth, and racial injustice. I was eager to read about something different. I was inspired by his constant dedication to making his goals happen. For instance, he took great risks in purchasing the Ford hotel and making the odds work in his favor. Once he realized that he could bring the Ford hotel back to life, he knew he could make any other building that was crumbling down into a habitable place.

I think this is a great book for adults and young adults because there are many situations in our life that we feel like giving up (the burn). Jorge’s persistence teaching us to hang in there because everything is going to be okay, and if our goals don’t turn out how we envision then we can always learn from our mistakes. I gladly give
BURN ZONES: PLAYING LIFE'S BAD HANDS 4 out of 4 because Jorge the author didn’t give up on his dreams and gave job opportunities to people who had a criminal record. He also spoke in defense of African Americans and how they easily get criminalized in a system that is not fair. I really appreciate that he used his book as an outlet to speak for those who can’t speak for themselves.

I liked the book overall because he gave a great example of how wealthy people can help people who are usually not given an opportunity to thrive in our economy. I wish more people had Jorge’s perspective on how we should all respect each other as human beings. What I liked the least about this book is that Jorge doesn’t take much time to relax or have fun. He also felt like he was right in every decision he made even when his superiors would advise him otherwise. I did enjoy that he was family-oriented and took good care of his parents and gave everyone an opportunity to better themselves.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”