Official Review: Singleness in a Marriage Shell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Official Review: Singleness in a Marriage Shell

Post by J_odoyo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Singleness in a Marriage Shell" by Theresa Shabani.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Theresa Shabani’s Singleness in a Marriage Shell is a riveting, touching, and a sentimental short story. It is not only about a woman struggling to survive in an unhappy marriage but also about the self-realization, healing, peace, and joy that comes with knowing and trusting in God.

Cupid’s arrow struck Naniso at a time when she had not made up her mind for that sort of thing. She was in her thirties and had just moved from her country, Botswana, to New Hope, England, in search of greener pasture. She had not imagined falling in love with any man again; she had been dumped by a Malawian man, shortly after their wedding. The man had taken most of the wedding gifts back to his country and left her wallowing in false promises and haunting memories.

And then appears Tom Adams. After working with Tom for several occasions, Naniso found herself in the throes of love. Well, blame it for Tom’s pixie dust. The mutual chemistry between them led them to engagement and wedding afterward. As Tom’s hidden habits become clear to her, a gloomy season is ushered in. Worst of all, Naniso is a devoted Christian, and she is not willing to run away from this unfulfilling relationship. Will this marriage survive?

Inspired by Women of Colour Bible Study, Theresa Shabani pens this wonderful short story to relay an important message for those who enter into relationships without thinking twice or involving God in them. Moreover, she gives hope to the victims of such marriages that they can still act and find peace and hope in their lives. The story involves a few characters that are well developed and memorable, some of whom you will quickly care about. The thirty-five-paged book is engaging and laced with poignant themes: love, betrayal, self-realization, religion, and marriage drama.

Singleness in a Marriage Shell is a debut short story by this author that reads like the work of an experienced author. The story is blended with suspense and turns that will keep you turning pages. What I liked most in this book was the few instances of humor. For instance, when one of the Naniso’s uncles—who was inept at speaking the English language—was told that Tom came “to ask for Naniso’s hand in marriage.” He became angry and asked: “Why has he come to ask for a hand only…what about the rest of the body?” Nevertheless, the author made a likable character in Naniso, whose past, though haunting, didn’t block her decisions to gain her freedom and peace of mind.

As far as negative is concerned, I did notice only one instance of punctuation error; however, this is a clear indication that the book was well edited. Moreover, at times, the narrator’s voice could turn to be judgmental. For instance, in the statement: “Naniso was not a good picker, or maybe she was not a good fruit herself.” I think it would have been better if the narrator could only describe or show her actions and allow readers to judge for themselves who the protagonist was. Though this is a short story, I felt like some details were missing in the plot. However, these were minor concerns, and they didn’t detract my enjoyment of this story.

Overall, Theresa Shabani managed to hit a home run by crafting this great story. Singleness in a Marriage Shell earns a dazzling 4 out of 4 stars. The impeccable editing, effectiveness of this story, and the wonderful plot motivation could earn nothing less than this rating. I recommend this book to people struggling in debilitating relationships. Both adults and teenagers who love stories embedded with moral lessons might also like this book. If you don’t believe in the Christian faith, this book is not for you. There is mild sexual content and only a borderline profanity, for those who consider “hell” to be profane. I’m looking forward to reading other short stories from this author.

Singleness in a Marriage Shell
View: on Bookshelves
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
Chinelookeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinelookeke.html
Latest Review: Fear Me Now by Christopher Williams

Post by Chinelookeke »

This book has a lot to teach people about marriage. Don't get married because others are getting married or because you want to belong. And don't rush either because if you rush into it, you will rush out of it. Put God first in everything and let Him lead .
J_odoyo

Post by J_odoyo »

Chinelookeke wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 06:10 This book has a lot to teach people about marriage. Don't get married because others are getting married or because you want to belong. And don't rush either because if you rush into it, you will rush out of it. Put God first in everything and let Him lead .
Exactly, Theresa Shabani draws such a point in her book. Thanks for your encouraging comment.
– Toni Morrison
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

"Malawian man, shortly after their wedding. The man had taken most of the wedding gifts back to his country and left her wallowing in false promises and haunting memories."

What??? It's a nightmare for sure. I am curious about a Malawian man. Oh my! Thanks for the review, it's very insightful.
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
J_odoyo

Post by J_odoyo »

jeminah28 wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 03:39 "Malawian man, shortly after their wedding. The man had taken most of the wedding gifts back to his country and left her wallowing in false promises and haunting memories."

What??? It's a nightmare for sure. I am curious about a Malawian man. Oh my! Thanks for the review, it's very insightful.
It was such an heinous act, quite inhumane. You'll really sympathize with Naniso. Theresa's book is a real creative and engaging work.
– Toni Morrison
Jeremie Mondejar
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

J_odoyo wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 03:58
jeminah28 wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 03:39 "Malawian man, shortly after their wedding. The man had taken most of the wedding gifts back to his country and left her wallowing in false promises and haunting memories."

It was such an heinous act, quite inhumane. You'll really sympathize with Naniso. Theresa's book is a real creative and engaging work.
Exactly! What a m*n???
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

The book has an interesting story-line.
I enjoyed reading your review.
J_odoyo

Post by J_odoyo »

Kanda_theGreat wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 09:36 The book has an interesting story-line.
I enjoyed reading your review.
Thanks for commenting
– Toni Morrison
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

The title of the book has some humor attached to it, and so is expected from the story. I really enjoyed reading your review. Thanks!
Marion Jepkosgei
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marion-jepkosgei.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Marion Jepkosgei »

I have never thought of reading books on marriage but your review has peeked my interest in this particular short story. Brilliant review!
J_odoyo

Post by J_odoyo »

:shhh:
Marion Jepkosgei wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 05:30 I have never thought of reading books on marriage but your review has peeked my interest in this particular short story. Brilliant review!
I hope you'll enjoy this one. Thanks for commenting.
– Toni Morrison
Reader047
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader047.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Reader047 »

Book's title is amazing. I would like to read this book, it sounds informative. Nice review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”