Review by Cboudreaux -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cboudreaux
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cboudreaux.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by Cboudreaux -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Cboudreaux »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jorge Newbery’s Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands compares racing bikes to life. Jorge starts the book by describing his mental state while racing bicycles in “the burn zone” then mentions life situations throughout the rest of the book that are similar to being “in the burn zone.” He illustrates tough situations in his life and how he recovers from them and the lessons that they taught him. Through all of his tough problems, he sticks to his principles and never gives up. He also always sees the good in people, even when those people are deceiving him.

The book starts off when Jorge was a young boy wanting to be a newspaper delivery boy. He then sells ice cream, becomes a bus boy, then a music mogul, then eventually becomes a real estate investor. He improves multi family real estate to better low income communities. Unfortunately the real estate bubble bursts and the real estate business becomes his demise. He then overcomes this obstacle with a final strategy that can still help homeowners and the communities they live in. He also points out some known racial issues in the areas that he lived in and what he did to help the communities overcome racial inequalities.

This book is relatable to me since I also survived the real estate bubble and have not forgotten all of the life lessons it taught me. “Everyone’s life is full of burn zones, which test the limits of our bodies and minds” This statement holds true throughout his book. Each life lesson he encounters, he always overcomes the obstacles. It also reminds me that I should not compromise my own core values for a job or other people who don’t have the same views as I do.

I give this book 4 stars out of 4. I enjoy books that have great core values, and teach you about someone’s life lessons. I gave it a 4 because I could read this book multiple times and still get the same amount of joy each time. This book was well written and well edited.

I think anyone who enjoys non fiction books, would enjoy this book as well. Jorge illustrates his life story well. He provided personal details about his life outside of his business that makes him more personable. The ending provides enough information to leave you thinking that his life isn’t over but that he is happy with his business and life decisions.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Irmelin
Favorite Author: Lee Child
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irmelin.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse
fav_author_id: 4411

Post by Irmelin »

Thank you for your honest review. Normally I would not consider the books like that for reading purposes, I am a fiction reader :) But after reading your review of the book I am intrigued and would consider reading it. Thank you.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”