Official Review: Overcoming my life's battles by Adie O.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 362
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: The Quicksand of Agoraphobia: A memoir of panic disorder by Diane Mengali

Official Review: Overcoming my life's battles by Adie O.

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Overcoming my life's battles" by Adie O..]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Overcoming My Life's Battles by Adie O. is the bittersweet narrative of the author's journey as a biracial French woman raised in a dysfunctional family. The author shares how the prejudice and verbal, emotional, and physical abuse she experienced as a child shaped her life as an adult and as a mother. She chronicles how she overcame adversity to find peace, love, and fulfilling relationships with her husband and sons.

Although the brief memoir is 113 pages, it is not a light read. The author forewarns that "...the book may make you sad in portions," and I agree. It is heartbreaking to read how early in life she experienced rejection from her mother and her longing to find acceptance. Her feelings of guilt and remorse as a mother who aches to give her sons a better life are equally devastating. However, the author manages to convey joy in both small and big victories. Despite her hard life, she was open to learning new skills, languages, and vocations, including reflexology and massage therapy. Likewise, she was willing to open her heart after multiple disappointing relationships and eventually found love.

I particularly admire the author's resilience in the face of many soul-crushing obstacles. Her desire for acceptance and a family of her own did not simply fall into place; she faced an uphill battle. However, the author did not allow her hardships to define her. She consistently sought solutions, and even amid seasons of temporary living arrangements, she persevered. I also appreciate the italicized personal notes she included, such as appealing to parents about the power of their words and offering encouraging suggestions for readers who are seeking purpose in their lives.

On the other hand, one section didn't ring true with the rest of the book. The author recounted her need to flee from Africa during an ethnic civil war. Although it was snowing when she returned to Paris, she was wearing only summer clothes and open-toed shoes. The author compared the airport to a reception office, as she described resources available from social services, giving citizens an insertion revenue allowance and directing them to shelters. The Red Cross was giving away clothes and shoes, but the author could not locate boots in her size. A young woman from the charitable organization--who happened to be wearing cute boots--suggested that she wear men's boots as an alternative. I may be biased due to my aversion to cold, damp feet in any weather, but considering the dire circumstances, I find the author's indignant response to be somewhat entitled: "I would rather walk in the snow with open shoes than wear men's shoes."

The author shared many specifics about the abuse she suffered, but she was less forthcoming about some of her choices. Although her detailed account of her father's threats to have her arrested was followed by a reference to a ten-day jail stay, she acknowledged that the arrest had "...nothing to do with my father. Rather it was a mistake from another source." No other explanation was given, which felt inconsistent and disjointed in comparison to the rest of the narrative. Additionally, there were multiple instances of missing words and typos that caused me to question whether the book was professionally edited.

Overall, the book would benefit from some additional polishing. For all of the above reasons, I rate Overcoming My Life's Battles 3 out of 4 stars. It contains one instance of quoted profanity. I recommend the book to readers who appreciate memoirs about racial prejudice and overcoming adversity. However, sensitive readers should be cautioned regarding the references to child abuse and domestic violence.

Overcoming my life's battles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Christieee
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christieee.html
Latest Review: Wonks by William Reese Hamilton

Post by Christieee »

Abuse is always so disorienting and life changing, so I couldn’t be happier for the author for finding peace where she could get it.
Her story of her journey through life is inspiring and something I would love to read about.

Thank you for the thorough review. Great work!

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: The Quicksand of Agoraphobia: A memoir of panic disorder by Diane Mengali

Post by Cecilia_L »

Christieee wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 14:04
Abuse is always so disorienting and life changing, so I couldn’t be happier for the author for finding peace where she could get it.
Her story of her journey through life is inspiring and something I would love to read about.

Thank you for the thorough review. Great work!
I appreciate your comment. :tiphat:

Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: The Blue Sea Monster by Norma Fleagane, James Fleagane, Blake James Ward

Post by Elvis Best »

Such a heartbreaking story, It's relieving to know that the author was able to overcome the adversities though. Thanks for the insightful review.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Usma Khann »

This coming-to-age memoir touches on sensitive issues like racial division, domestic abuse and acceptance. Appreciate the insightful review.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:

Mohammed_Sameer2
2019 Reading Goal: 5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mohammed-sameer2.html
Latest Review: Unveil your Intimate Self by Elena Georgiadou

Post by Mohammed_Sameer2 »

You presented a good review of Adie O's Overcoming my life's battles dear friend Cecilia_L, that you discover the the emotional separation and the conflicts in her childhood, and the victory of the love and peace in the end of this deep human experience. While I was reading the excerpt of the book at Amazon, I noticed a good description of some of her early sensible experiences, and she presented the others with their Impressions on her little mind. Have a great day.

Lake life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Lake life »

This book is very well wrote and definitely worth a re read. Domestic abuse and violence is always hard, and life changing. The authors life and point of view in the story in inspirational.

Richard the boy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Richard the boy »

overcoming my life's battle is a sad story but it teach us on how to be strong,after a big struggle of this woman after even rejected by her own mother,she fought the battle by becoming strong and at the end she finally made it and found someone to love her.🙏🙏

Topsey
Currently Reading: Quietus in the Garden of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Topsey »

This sounds like a powerful and fascinating book to read. I imagine it is also inspiring to read of someone overcoming adversity.

gelli_baranda
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gelli-baranda.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by gelli_baranda »

Wow. Sounds like a dense life lived. I like getting moral lessons from memoirs, but I think I will pass on this one as I prefer a light reading for the moment. Thanks for your detailed review, Cecilia_L! Looking forward to read the next!
Happy reading,
Gelli xoxo

Evelyne236
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Evelyne236 »

This story is very overwhelming and sad.
I legitimately see myself.
My life has been hard since I was 12 nobody wanted and dad never sent à quarter to mom for me.
I have been called dumb and stupid and also bullied and because of financial issues mom had to leave with my aunt in law .
I have learned so many things throughout the years and I got strong Ever time I fell down
I believe everybody deserve some respect some time to be appreciate and motivated .

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Elvis Best wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 17:38
Such a heartbreaking story, It's relieving to know that the author was able to overcome the adversities though. Thanks for the insightful review.
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Usma Khann wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 23:33
This coming-to-age memoir touches on sensitive issues like racial division, domestic abuse and acceptance. Appreciate the insightful review.🌸
Thank you. :tiphat:

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Mohammed_Sameer2 wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 23:50
You presented a good review of Adie O's Overcoming my life's battles dear friend Cecilia_L, that you discover the the emotional separation and the conflicts in her childhood, and the victory of the love and peace in the end of this deep human experience. While I was reading the excerpt of the book at Amazon, I noticed a good description of some of her early sensible experiences, and she presented the others with their Impressions on her little mind. Have a great day.
Thank you.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Lake life wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 06:40
This book is very well wrote and definitely worth a re read. Domestic abuse and violence is always hard, and life changing. The authors life and point of view in the story in inspirational.
Thanks for your comment.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”