Official Review: The World Hidden by Christopher Joseph

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 154
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 105
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 611
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: Rebirth of the Gangster Act 1 by CJ Standal
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: The World Hidden by Christopher Joseph

Post by Miriam Molina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The World Hidden" by Christopher Joseph.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you believe in shamans, witches, and faith healers? Have you had a tarot card reader tell your fortune? Have you tried summoning spirits during a camp night using a makeshift Ouija board? Do you have the third eye, the ability to see spirits? Are you a fan of Ghost where Molly (Demi Moore) kisses her dead lover (Sam by Patrick Swayze) through a psychic (Oda Mae by Whoopi Goldberg)? If you answered "yes" to any of those questions, then I invite you to read this book.

Dr. Christopher Joseph is a physician. However, his medical training does not preclude him from believing in the power of spirits working through people (whom I will call "shamans" for simplicity) with the gift of communicating with these spirits. He proposes that these spirits are alien life forms that have been with us since ancient times. He mentions that NASA spends billions seeking life elsewhere, but the world may reap benefits sooner by studying these spirits and their chosen shamans.

In The World Hidden, Dr. Joseph presents 24 accounts from shamans and those who have been helped by these shamans and their spirit benefactors. These accounts are not the stuff of fairy tales (like Snow White’s witch stepmother), fantasy books (such as the wizard and ghost comrades of Harry Potter), or even the deities of mythology. Folks, these stories are for real, and several of the accounts are attested by at least two independent witnesses.

I need no convincing to believe the stories in the book. My country also has its shamans who perform extraordinary feats of healing, protection, and clairvoyance. The 24 storytellers give the accounts in first-person narratives that all make fascinating reading. I have no reason to think any of the stories are embellished, though many defy earthly explanation. The reader will be amazed at how an egg, a clear glass of water, a coconut, or a red ribbon can be used to perform the shamans’ life-changing rituals. The resource people all come from Cuba or the United States; Dr. Joseph’s wife, Grettel, hails from Cuba, and they live in New Mexico. I only wish that other continents could have been represented, too. I also think the accounts should be dated to give the reader a time frame with which to associate the stories.

The book opens with a glossary to familiarize the reader with the terms used in the book, mostly from the Santeria religion practiced in Cuba. Armed with this knowledge, the reader is not lost in the subsequent pages.

Dr. Joseph included many of the learnings he gained from reading available records about shamans. This additional input bolstered his points, and I found myself agreeing with his conclusions. The book’s organization, however, may need some fine-tuning. Presently, many of the discussions are repeated in the various sections. Streamlining will cut unnecessary pages from this 400-page book.

Another area that seems to have been neglected by the author is the editing; various errors riddle the pages. Though these are mostly minor and do not hamper the reader’s appreciation of the contents, weeding them out will make this volume even more stunning. People who are deeply religious and hard-core scientists may frown on the material, though.

I give the book 3 out of 4 stars. I look forward to the day when science, medicine, and technology will know more about shamans and the spirits behind them, the aliens among us.

The World Hidden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Elvis Best »

Wow, I've never really thought about shamans or kindred spirits, but this book seems to be the perfect resource to help me familiarise myself. Thanks for such a thorough review.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Miriam Molina
Favorite Book:

Post by Miriam Molina »

Elvis Best wrote:
02 Jul 2020, 11:08
Wow, I've never really thought about shamans or kindred spirits, but this book seems to be the perfect resource to help me familiarise myself. Thanks for such a thorough review.
Yo, Elvis. And they say your namesake still appears now and then. 🤩

Ben97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben97.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by Ben97 »

This book sounds charming and compelling. I also admired the Shamans extraordinary powers.

Dayodiola
2019 Reading Goal: 12
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Fear Me Now by Christopher Williams

Post by Dayodiola »

From Shamans, Jin, aliens, wizard every aspect of life have a supernatural being they believe exist.

Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Priyanka2304 »

That sounds like a fun read. I have always been in an awe of the undiscovered world still existing among us. A great review, by the way!

Miriam Molina
Favorite Book:

Post by Miriam Molina »

Dayodiola wrote:
02 Jul 2020, 16:49
From Shamans, Jin, aliens, wizard every aspect of life have a supernatural being they believe exist.
And do you agree that these supernaturals are aliens?

Miriam Molina
Favorite Book:

Post by Miriam Molina »

Priyanka2304 wrote:
02 Jul 2020, 17:04
That sounds like a fun read. I have always been in an awe of the undiscovered world still existing among us. A great review, by the way!
Yes, rather than going out in space, maybe we should seek the aliens that are among us. Phone home?

Carennkemdiala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carennkemdiala.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Carennkemdiala »

Great review Miriam. Personally, I’ve always known and believed that there’s more to life than meets the eyes. Life is more spiritual and deeper than we can fathom or imagine.

Your review of this book could trigger people who want to find out more about life or themselves.

I loved the part where you mentioned that people who are deeply religious and hard core scientists could frown at it; I totally agree with you on that because sometimes, people don’t want to be swayed from what they’ve known to work for them all their lives and what they strongly believe in.

Kudos to your review!!!

Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Usma Khann »

Liked the way in which you described these shamans as aliens living among us. Appreciate the insightful review 🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:

ButterscotchCherrie
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 76
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Adult Children
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: Life, Loss and Love by Susan Nicholson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ButterscotchCherrie »

What a fascinating topic! I loved the colour you added with all your examples. I'd love to learn more about shamanic powers.

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ellylion »

How interesting! I would definitely read this book, since it raises such interesting and unusual questions :) Thank you for a great review!

Miriam Molina
Favorite Book:

Post by Miriam Molina »

Ben97 wrote:
02 Jul 2020, 16:26
This book sounds charming and compelling. I also admired the Shamans extraordinary powers.
Thanks for visiting! Have you also had a personal encounter with a shaman?

Miriam Molina
Favorite Book:

Post by Miriam Molina »

Carennkemdiala wrote:
02 Jul 2020, 23:34
Great review Miriam. Personally, I’ve always known and believed that there’s more to life than meets the eyes. Life is more spiritual and deeper than we can fathom or imagine.

Your review of this book could trigger people who want to find out more about life or themselves.

I loved the part where you mentioned that people who are deeply religious and hard core scientists could frown at it; I totally agree with you on that because sometimes, people don’t want to be swayed from what they’ve known to work for them all their lives and what they strongly believe in.

Kudos to your review!!!
Thank you for your sweet words. Indeed, we need to see more than our eyes can fathom.

Miriam Molina
Favorite Book:

Post by Miriam Molina »

Usma Khann wrote:
02 Jul 2020, 23:54
Liked the way in which you described these shamans as aliens living among us. Appreciate the insightful review 🌸
It's the spirits behind the shamans that Dr. Joseph believes are aliens with supernatural powers. I am inclined to agree with him.

Thanks for the appreciation.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”