Official Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LinaMueller
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 136
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: Broad Horizons by Donald "Sparky" Rodde

Official Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature

Post by LinaMueller »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature" by Chet Shupe.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe is a self-help book. This work brutally attacks the way of life and the interests of people who today are called "civilized." The author seems to agree with Nietzsche when he wrote that "whoever has not two-thirds of his time to himself is a slave." But is it just a lack of free time that is the real problem? Not at all. According to Chet, we "civilized" people are spiritually imprisoned by force of laws and institutions that deny us access to our innate emotional intelligence.

The development of civilization has proven to be harmful to the mental and spiritual health of modern man. People are enslaved by individualism and by problems that only exist because we Westerners place so much importance on the future that we end up forgetting to live in the present.

To show an opposite and ideal example of how we should live, the author analyzed the lifestyle of the Pirahã (a Brazilian indigenous tribe). He examined the lifestyle and the spoken language of a people who are seen as "backward" by many arrogant Westerners. Daniel Everett's book Don't Sleep, There are Snakes demonstrates that the Pirahã language has no past tenses nor future tenses. Because they live only for the present, they appear to be much happier and have a sense of collectivity that Western man did not even dream of having.

First, I will comment on the positive aspects without further ado. There is no doubt that Chet Shupe made an accurate diagnosis of some evils that plague individuals in Western countries. He thinks that the problem exists in many parts of the world, but I consider it a "Western problem." I concur with his arguments about "mental slavery," and that civilization (instead of making our lives easier) ended up making a good part of the population unhappy. To put it in context, approximately one-third of Americans today have symptoms of anxiety or depression. In short, the diagnosis of problems is pure gold, and there is not much to improve in this respect.

Another exemplary aspect that deserves praise is the fact that the book is professionally edited. I found only a few minor errors. At the beginning of the book, the author even praises the editor Marianne Ferrari for her work, and she performed very well indeed. Before I started reading the book, I was afraid that Chet Shupe, being an electronics engineer, would have some problems getting his ideas down on paper, but I was wrong.

The book, however, has some flaws. In the first place, the author affirms in all letters that marriage is an institution that is oppressive to women. This generalization may have been true in the past (maybe it still is in some parts of the globe), but to say that all women are going to be oppressed and become unhappy if they get married is entirely absurd. This argument does not hold water. Perhaps some traumatic events in his life have led Chet to think that way.

Another "mistake" that stands out is the conclusion that all human beings will automatically perceive problems and that a loving revolution will occur. From there, everyone will develop a "sisterhood" or "brotherhood" and abandon modern individualistic interests. The author himself says that he does not know how this will happen, but this idea is too simplistic and romantic to be taken seriously.

All things considered, Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature deserves three out of four stars. It is a fascinating book that addresses many topics ignored in similar books. I had to deduct one star due to the reasons mentioned in the paragraphs above. I would recommend it to everyone who wants to have greater mental and spiritual health in a world where individualism prevails.

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
View: on Bookshelves
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson

gabrielletiemi
Currently Reading: Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielletiemi.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by gabrielletiemi »

Wow, I have never heard of the Pirahã, I got very curious to learn more about them, this seems to be a great book. A different perspective of nowadays lifestyle. It seems pretty interesting. Thanks for the great review!

Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Elvis Best »

I love the ideas expressed by the author. I also believe civilisation is doing more hard than good. However, I agree with your latter view a out his dream being too simplistic and romantic to be taken seriously. Great review!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

Sounds very much like my kind of controversial approach to the subject! :D As well as educative; I suddenly find myself really curious about the life of that aforementioned indigenous Brazilian tribe :)

Thank you for such an informative and helpful review! :) Onto my shelf this goes! :D

Nedbrian
2019 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading: Into the Hand of a Woman
Bookshelf Size: 89

Post by Nedbrian »

Sounds more like a book on history drawing references on the stone age. Loved your elaborate review but the book is definitely something I would be reading

Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Priyanka2304 »

This book reflects light on how important it is to be in the present which is marred by the growing civilization. Hopefully, this turns out to be a good read.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”