Official Review: The Secrets of Living A Fantastic Life

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chipochashe
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chipochashe.html
Latest Review: Reflection by Ally Wadley

Official Review: The Secrets of Living A Fantastic Life

Post by Chipochashe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Secrets of Living A Fantastic Life" by Dr Allen Lycka, Harriet Tinka.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Secrets of Living a Fantastic Life by Dr Allen Lycka and Harriet Tinka comes at the right time during this COVID-19 pandemic to give hope and a better perspective on life. The two authors share the 13 golden pearls that they have discovered through adversity and other life experiences. This metaphor is in itself intriguing as it encapsulates a lot of meaning. The 13 principles are not in themselves surprising, they are principles taught in most religions and cultures and reiterated in most self-improvement literature. Love is the number one golden pearl. Other golden pearls include inspiration, forgiveness, tenacity, and a not so obvious one, vulnerability. What makes Dr Lycka’s and Harriet’s book unique are their stories as individuals and the stories of others that they include.

A neurologist diagnosed Dr Lycka with Lou Gehrig’s disease and said that he had 6 months to live. The doctor told him to put his life in order. Dr Lycka is now sharing his story with us years later as this was a major turning point in his life. Harriet’s experience is even scarier. A friend turns into a stalker, stabs her, and leaves her for dead. She is alive and shares her story with us today of her experience and how meeting a little girl completely changed her life.

What I liked most about this book is that the authors did not try to tell the reader what to do. Instead, they shared their experiences with the golden pearls in their lives. The authors told stories about their encounters with people in different situations that they learnt from or helped. The conversation style of writing also helped to make the book easy to read. One of the features that I enjoyed the most was the presence of numerous quotes strewn throughout the book. There were quotes at the beginning of chapters, in the stories and within the conversations. These drove the lessons home and called for deeper thoughts. The author also injected humour into their conversations and described concepts in captivating words. I liked one of Harriet’s statements, “Tenacity is persistence with an attitude.”

The few things that I did not like about the book were minor and did not take away from the lessons learnt. There was a lot of repetition especially at the start of the book. The foreword gives reference to Dr Lycka’s and Harriet’s stories, which are again mentioned in the introduction before they are given in full by the authors. These stories are part of the conversation throughout the book, but these other mentions show how the authors’ adversity helped them to realize a particular lesson. Harriet makes mention of her death races in almost every conversation. Faith is not the basis of the book, but there is mention of such religions as Buddhism and Christianity as well as some secular beliefs. Some of the stories shared draw from mythology and these did not sit quite well with me, but then again, they are just stories.

Overall, the book is well written and seems to have been professionally edited as I only found one rather subjective error. The lessons within are really good and vital for every person to learn. I, therefore, rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Harriet details her attack and this may be too graphic for some readers to take in. The language is generally clean; I only encountered one word that may qualify as borderline profanity. I recommend the book to readers looking for hope and reinforcement as they try to change or improve the quality of their lives.

The Secrets of Living A Fantastic Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
:D Only God gives the strength to smile in the face of death.

Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Samgum50 »

Great review! I'm currently reading this book and I agree it came at the right time. The authors did a fantastic job with explaining things and I feel like this book will help so many people.

Nelson Reviews
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Currently Reading: The Hand Bringer
Bookshelf Size: 24
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Nelson Reviews »

Love is indeed the number one golden pearl In humanity notions. This book reads like a life coach and the guide to happiness. Thank you for the Review.

Slater678
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slater678.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Slater678 »

I like the hope that permeates this book, as I always believe in second chances at life. Thanks for the interesting review.

Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Priyanka2304 »

I just finished reading this book. And it was full of hope and stories that we can relate to.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”