Official Review: Life According to Grandpa

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: Life According to Grandpa by John Reseck Jr.

Official Review: Life According to Grandpa

Post by gen_g »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Life According to Grandpa" by John Reseck Jr..]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you looking for stories about life in the olden days? If so, John Reseck Jr.’s book, Life According to Grandpa, is a good choice. This book is a compilation of Reseck Jr.’s life experiences as a marine biologist, a diver, a sailor, and a teacher, in addition to some original short fiction and poetry. He wrote this book in the hopes that his grandchildren and other readers can learn from his more noteworthy experiences, so as to apply what they have learned in order to lead more fulfilling lives.

There are over 50 short stories in this book; however, it makes for a quick read because each story is only one or two pages long. Furthermore, as Reseck Jr. has led a rich and fulfilling life in the past 80 years, reading his stories gave me a better understanding of life in his time. Reseck Jr. also has a way with words, and the hours I spent reading the book certainly went by in a blink of an eye!

The best thing about Life According to Grandpa is Reseck Jr.’s sense of humour; it comes through very clearly in many of his stories and helped me to better understand him as a person. To illustrate, during his trip to McMurdo Sound – a tent city in Antarctica – as part of the first US Antarctic biological science team, Reseck Jr. and his colleagues were participating in a game of tug-of-war with a number of military units. Throughout the game, the Seabees (who were heavily muscled military men) were the undisputed champions, dragging all of their opponents through a pile of excrement (which marked the rope’s centre line). However, Reseck Jr. and his colleagues put their heads together, and with the real-life application of Newton’s laws of motion, they managed to drag the Seabees through that same pile, rendering the latter speechless and reeking. I couldn’t stop myself from laughing!

Still, no book is perfect, and Life According to Grandpa certainly has a number of flaws. Firstly, the book is organised into sections based on Reseck Jr.’s various hobbies/occupations, i.e., a section on his experiences as a diver, another on teaching, etc. The presence of structural organisation in a book is usually a positive sign; however, chronological order was sacrificed because of it. Hence, I had to figure out the timeline whenever I started reading a new short story, which detracted from the reading flow and caused some confusion.

In addition, Reseck Jr. states (in the introduction) that the purpose of his book is to impart life lessons to his readers. He does this by placing a short conclusion at the end of each story, e.g., “honesty is the best policy”. However, as the book progressed, it gradually became a written manifestation of his nostalgia for the days of old. Simply put, writing the book became a way for Reseck Jr. to relive the high points of his career and personal life. Still, I enjoyed reading these stories; nonetheless, if the book had been more consistent about achieving its purpose of providing life lessons for the younger generation, it would have made for a smoother reading experience.

Sadly, the writing contains many errors, such as erroneous punctuation and incomplete sentences, contributing to the choppy reading flow. Therefore, if half stars were permitted, I would rate John Reseck Jr.’s Life According to Grandpa 1.5 stars. However, as I cannot do so, I have decided to round the rating up to 2 out of 4 stars. This is because I trust that the polished book will greatly benefit the younger generations. In fact, I believe that reworking the book into an autobiography would eliminate the structural disorder and choppy reading flow, as well as provide a much-needed space for Reseck Jr. to address his nostalgia for the olden days. In its current form, I would recommend it to aficionados of marine biology and sailing. There is also some borderline profanity present.

Life According to Grandpa
View: on Bookshelves

Wuoketch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wuoketch.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Wuoketch »

I have heard a lot of stories about the old days. I believe I wouldn't need to have this book again as it may be repetition. Your review is so nice though, I will pass this one.

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by Ellylion »

Unfortunately all the flaws you've mentioned above are discouraging for me enough not to pick this book up. Thank you for this insightful and honest review!

Anna_TB
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Anna_TB »

The premise sounds interesting, but it seems like the author missed the point. A more thorough revision would have been appropriate. This is a pass for me.

gen_g
Currently Reading:

Post by gen_g »

Wuoketch wrote:
21 Jun 2020, 02:44
I have heard a lot of stories about the old days. I believe I wouldn't need to have this book again as it may be repetition. Your review is so nice though, I will pass this one.
I totally understand! Still, thank you for stopping by. :D

Dee_Robert
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-robert.html
Latest Review: The Secrets of Living A Fantastic Life by Dr Allen Lycka, Harriet Tinka
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Dee_Robert »

Oh, it sounds like it would be a great book.

Your Review was nice and honest, I hope the author takes your suggestions and applies them
For me, For man & For God.
-Dee.

gen_g
Currently Reading:

Post by gen_g »

Ellylion wrote:
21 Jun 2020, 09:10
Unfortunately all the flaws you've mentioned above are discouraging for me enough not to pick this book up. Thank you for this insightful and honest review!
Hopefully, it'll be better after a couple rounds of editing! Still, thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :D

sanjus
2019 Reading Goal: 21
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 56
Currently Reading: Charles' Story
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjus.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by sanjus »

A nice inspirational book "Life According to Grandpa" by John Reseck Jr, which is a account of the Reseck's grandfather's life experiences as a marine biologist, a diver, a sailor, and a teacher. The book is written for his grandchildren and other readers to apply the knowledge from this book to lead more fulfilling lives.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- I believe this is my own quote. If someone quoted this before I am glad to know.

gen_g
Currently Reading:

Post by gen_g »

Anna_TB wrote:
21 Jun 2020, 11:28
The premise sounds interesting, but it seems like the author missed the point. A more thorough revision would have been appropriate. This is a pass for me.
I agree that it certainly needs a lot more polishing, but I hope that it'll be better after a couple of rounds of editing. Thank you for stopping by! :D

Seroney_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seroney.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Seroney_ »

I enjoy tales of the old but am going to pass it due to its erroneous capacity.
This is a fascinating review, thank you!

Tonika632
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Tonika632 »

Granpa's know the best! A bit of polishing, and this book will be perfect. Great review!

gen_g
Currently Reading:

Post by gen_g »

Dee_Robert wrote:
21 Jun 2020, 14:01
Oh, it sounds like it would be a great book.

Your Review was nice and honest, I hope the author takes your suggestions and applies them
It certainly has a lot of potential! Thank you for stopping by. (:

LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 139
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: The Albatross: Contact by Connor Mackay
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

The premise had me curious but not curious enough to overlook the drawbacks... Thank you for such a thorough and informative review! :)

gen_g
Currently Reading:

Post by gen_g »

sanjus wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 05:47
A nice inspirational book "Life According to Grandpa" by John Reseck Jr, which is a account of the Reseck's grandfather's life experiences as a marine biologist, a diver, a sailor, and a teacher. The book is written for his grandchildren and other readers to apply the knowledge from this book to lead more fulfilling lives.
Thanks for stopping by!

gen_g
Currently Reading:

Post by gen_g »

Seroney_ wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 02:43
I enjoy tales of the old but am going to pass it due to its erroneous capacity.
This is a fascinating review, thank you!
I understand, and thank you for stopping by! :D

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”