Official Review: Cloud Over Kairiru

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michelle Fred
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Official Review: Cloud Over Kairiru

Post by Michelle Fred »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cloud Over Kairiru" by Robert Kenneth Henderson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Robert had always been an anthropology enthusiast. After college, he applied to CUSO (Canadian University Service Overseas). They posted him to Kairiru, an island in Papua New Guinea. At Kairiru, he got a job as a science teacher at St. Xavier’s High School. After several unsuccessful attempts, the school authority sought his help in convincing the reluctant people of Kragur to send their children to school. They agreed to his request, but with a caveat that earned him a memento that he still wears to this day. As a condition for their cooperation, he pledged to be a ‘was papa’ to the boys. In the course of his caretaker duties, he became especially fond of one boy named Lahumpo. They developed a close bond and their friendship changed them both in ways they didn’t foresee. Cloud Over Kairiru is a recollection of his time on the island.

Even though the book is non-fiction, Robert K. Henderson added some elements of suspense that kept me on the edge of my seat. I especially liked the first and third-person narration technique he employed; it was nice to read about the same event from unique perspectives. His relationship with Lahumpo and Nick is a beautiful juxtaposition of tradition and science. It also encapsulates the capacity of education to stretch the human mind. Though the book’s ending broke my heart, it insinuates a sequel and I look forward to that.

I admire Robert's eagerness to embrace the island's culture. He took part in their rituals, dance and even attempted to wear their famous ‘lap lap’ waist wrap. It was a colossal fail, but it’s all part of the experience that made the book worthwhile.

Societies and their cultures interest me, so I thoroughly enjoyed learning about the rich culture of the Kragur community of Papua New Guinea. As a Nigerian, what struck me are the similarities between some aspects of their culture and the culture of the Igbo people of Nigeria. Before modernity overrode some aspects of the culture, Igbo people had a ritual similar to the Kragur Puk Puk ceremony for pubescent boys. It was a mandatory ritual necessary for the transition from boyhood to adulthood. A boy had to undergo the process to be considered a man in the community.

Another intriguing parity is the Kairiru concept of 'bik man'. The term is used to refer to men of affluence and power that enjoy special privileges and respect not accorded to other community members of low standing. In Nigerian, such people are called 'big man' and the meaning and lifestyle is the same.

As much as I liked the book, I noted some holes in the story. The island natives communicate with the foreigners in pidgin. I expected Robert to provide an English interpretation of the pidgin words or an appendix at the end of the book. Sadly, most of the meanings were left for the reader to decipher. Also, during an expedition, Robert and his students chanced upon some vestiges of the Japanese War in a cave. They packed and put them back in the cave for safekeeping, intending to give them to the school authority, but they were not spoken of afterwards. I would have loved to know what became of them.

I spotted an empty page and a few errors while reading; the errors were minor and didn't detract from my reading flow. Considering the cultural richness, professional editing and Robert's fun and evocative writing style, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I would have liked to give it the highest rating, but for the plot holes mentioned above.

Culture and travel enthusiasts will enjoy reading about Robert's experience in Kairiru. I would caution that Robert espouses some views that fundamentalist Christians might consider offensive. In addition, it contains some violence so I wouldn't recommend it for kids.

Cloud Over Kairiru
View: on Bookshelves

Chinelookeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinelookeke.html
Latest Review: Fear Me Now by Christopher Williams

Post by Chinelookeke »

Very interesting book. Getting to know some things about other peoples culture is always fun. Michelle Fred,you did a very good work in trying to relate their culture with the Igbo's in Nigeria. I love that. Thanks.

GiselleBengochea
Currently Reading: Nathan Turner and the New World Order
Bookshelf Size: 1356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gisellebengochea.html
Latest Review: Terror In Manila by Frank Q. Aurillo Jr

Post by GiselleBengochea »

Congratulations on an excellent review! God bless you!

Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: The Two Worlds in Which we Live Physical and Spiritual by Evelyn Rozier

Post by Elvis Best »

Wow, a non-fiction book with an element of suspense. I'd def check it out. Great review!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

kljrox
Favorite Book: The Pentagon Years
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kljrox.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by kljrox »

I love that Robert tries to experience cultural things like the "lap lap". This sounds like a well written story. Thanks for an amazing review.
"I promised myself that I would take the time to notice simple beauty every day."
Richard L. Haight

jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennydelacruz.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by jennydelacruz »

Traveling helps us learn about other people's culture and traditions, well reading does too! Thank you for your review. I would love to learn about the culture of other people from the other side of the world. Plus, mentioning that it is somehow similar to some of the cultures in Nigeria, that sounds like a one-stop shop for me!

Mbrooks2518
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 51
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 308
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Familiar Dead: Spiritualism and Ghosts in American Culture by Megan Weiss

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

This sounds like a great book for learning about the people of Kairiru. Great review!

Kanda_theGreat
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Dragon Country by Melissa Robbins

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I like reading about the culture of other people.
Thank you for the review.

Moray_001
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Moray_001 »

I enjoyed your review, especially where you mentioned about learning cultures.

Michelle Fred
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Michelle Fred »

Chinelookeke wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 07:19
Very interesting book. Getting to know some things about other peoples culture is always fun. Michelle Fred,you did a very good work in trying to relate their culture with the Igbo's in Nigeria. I love that. Thanks.
Thanks for your comment, Chinelo.

Slater678
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slater678.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Slater678 »

I like reading about culture so this one about the Papua New Guinea culture sounds interesting. Nice review.

Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: At the very Heart and Soul by Timothy Neff Gocke

Post by Tomah »

This sounds like a fascinating book for readers who enjoy learning about different cultures. Thanks for the review!

Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Winning the Game of Work
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: Begotten by Joseph Crew

Post by Vic Chimezie »

A very detailed and insightful review. Thanks for your recommendation. I am interested in people and their culture.

Prince Chime
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-chime.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Prince Chime »

bik man'. like the famous 'big man' in Nigeria. Good review from you about people and their culture
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
:)

Fernando222
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernando222.html
Latest Review: If Only by Elaine Blick

Post by Fernando222 »

Excellent review. I enjoyed the way you encapsulated those befitting words that qualify the writer's technique. Thanks for sharing your view.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”