Review by Eleanor Peterson -- Burn Zones

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eleanor Peterson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eleanor-peterson.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by Eleanor Peterson -- Burn Zones

Post by Eleanor Peterson »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I really enjoyed reading Burn Zones. It is a captivating book that I kept looking forward to returning to. The author writes as I imagine he talks: with ease and great articulation. It is always a pleasure to read a book that is written so well, and such was the case with this one.

Jorge P. Newbery begins his book by writing about his entrepreneurial adventures as a child full of determination to be successful. His determination is coupled with a deep compassion for the underdog. He takes a job on a paper route at the adorable age of seven. His ambition serves him well as he goes on to complete his goals at each new job he takes throughout his young life. Jorge becomes incredibly successful in real estate and the loan business, and the book details his victories and challenges as he embarks on his biggest project of all. Through every trial, this man's courage remains and he never gives up. Jorge comes out on the other side scarred, but wiser and with the same compassion intact that drove him to begin. Thus, he rebuilds his life and now writes this book to share his heart and experiences for the benefit of others.

I was absolutely stunned by how relevant the author's words on social justice are in the present. He wrote Burn Zones long before the current unrest in America, and yet, his words are accurate, insightful, and beautiful words of advocacy for the present time. While social justice is not the main theme of his book, it is a key element throughout, and I found it very valuable indeed. This book would likely appeal to a large audience, but specifically those interested in social justice and the world of investing.

There are so many good things about this book, but my favorite part is the loving and supportive relationship that Jorge has with his father. It is clear how dearly they loved each other and what an enormous role Jorge's father played in his success. In contrast, I was slightly disappointed that the author didn't go into more detail about his relationship with Verria. Their love story springs up rather fast in the text, and I feel that it would have been nice for the author to give a bit more insight into their love that was an obvious oasis in such dark times.

Burn Zones is written incredibly well and edited almost to perfection. Mr. Newbery did a commendable job in the writing of this book and therefore, I am thrilled to rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”