Review by Phoebeking -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Phoebeking
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phoebeking.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by Phoebeking -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Phoebeking »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands by Jorge Newbery is an incredible story of tenacity, perseverance, and chasing your dreams – all while facing the challenges life throws your way. The book follows Newbery’s life as he grew from childhood entrepreneurship to an adult experiencing a life-altering financial collapse. All the while, Newbery never loses his ability to overcome these personal burn zones. While the story specifically revolves around Newbery’s experiences, readers are able to take away a multitude of lessons they can apply to their own lives.

I loved reading this book. Although I was unable to relate to any of the specific stories told within the text, I still felt a connection and inspiration to the overall themes of the book, namely, picking yourself up in the face of struggles and pushing forward even when it feels like all hope is lost. Newbery’s writing is full of comparisons and anecdotes that are incredibly relevant to today’s social climate, and his writing style is absolutely beautiful. These are all some of the elements I loved the most about this book.

For the reasons above, I could not name anything that that I did not enjoy about this book, if anything, I disliked that it ended! Further, I found only one minor grammatical or editing error while reading and therefore it is clear to me that this book was professionally edited prior to publication. Therefore, I give this book 4 out 4 stars.

The beauty of Newbery’s book is that the overall themes are universal. I likely would not recommend young children to read Burn Zones due to a few instances of profanity. As such, I believe that this book is widely applicable to most adult and young adult audiences.

I cannot wait to read more from Newbery. I appreciate not only the financial lessons that I’ve learned from reading his work, but also the overall life lessons as well. His masterful skill in writing itself made me feel like I was reading a novel rather than a work of non-fiction, resulting in a truly enjoyable experience.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”