Review by Jlblawrence -- We Don't Just Eat Lettuce!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jlblawrence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlblawrence.html
Latest Review: We Don't Just Eat Lettuce! by Allyn Raifstanger

Review by Jlblawrence -- We Don't Just Eat Lettuce!

Post by Jlblawrence »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We Don't Just Eat Lettuce!" by Allyn Raifstanger.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Like the vast majority of the world’s population, I struggle with my diet and exercise. We Don’t Just Eat Lettuce!: Vegan Recipes for Carnivores by Allyn Raifstanger is here to help. This vegan recipe book is so much more than just serving recommendations to get you started on a vegan lifestyle. Chef Raifstanger’s permeating theme throughout the book is learning to treat your body with the respect and the nutrition that it deserves. As he states in his book, “I no longer live to eat, I eat to live.”

While nutrition would normally be the backbone of a book of recipes, the author also gives us insight into his life and how he came to call himself a vegan. As the owner of an iconic restaurant in Cincinnati, OH, he is very knowledgable in the food industry, especially the vegan niche. He speaks about his health issues and how they were remedied by his change in lifestyle. By taking courses with the Institute for Integrated Nutrition (IIN) he became a better, well rounded person versed in the fields of yoga, meditation, and the social factors that affect our overall health way more than we’d like to think. So while on the surface this seems to be a simple vegan cookbook, once the pages are cracked, Mr. Raifstanger’s book is much more.

While reading this recipe and self improvement book, I was actually inspired to try cooking with tofu for the first time. I tried to implement some of the tips Mr. Raifstanger gave us in his recipe for Allyn’s Cowboy Breakfast. I had never purchased tofu before, and was gently guided towards the firm tofu at his suggestion. I am happy to have had this book in my arsenal, because previously I did not know that tofu had different levels of firmness. The recipe turned out fantastic and I would recommend my meat eating family members give it a try.

Overall, this book has twenty-one vegan recipes that look like they shouldn’t be too difficult to make. The recipes range from pastas to soups to tacos, so there should be something to please almost any palate in this book. There are even two dessert options. But aside from the food, the tone of this book is serious. As Americans, we need to look at ourselves. We need to look at our gluttonous, lazy, dangerous lifestyles and really decide if that is the way we want to proceed. This book does a good job to encourage self reflection and then gives you a way you make changes. It personally struck a chord for me.

I will rate this book a 4 out of 4. I did not see any spelling or punctuation errors. The look of the pages was simple and pleasing. As you would expect in a cookbook, there was no graphic content. I would recommend this book to both men and women, young and old. I would especially recommend it to people who are tired and sick and ready for a change. Maybe this book could save someone’s life.

We Don't Just Eat Lettuce!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
daphne_asir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daphne-asir.html
Latest Review: WALK TALL - create your own self-confidence by Ki Is Your Host

Post by daphne_asir »

Sounds like a book I could really benefit from. Great review! I'll be sure to check it out.
No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality.
Shirley Jackson
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

I like recipe books since I love to cook. I am not vegan myself, and I am not going to be one, but I think that I would find some good recipes in it. Great review!
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

I liked this book a lot, and enjoyed your perspective also. It's wonderful that you gave it a try. Great review.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

I don't consider myself a foodie. I don't think I'll enjoy this book as much. Nice review.
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

You know, the way vegan diet is portrayed makes me see it as a boring one. I love that this author brings it to us with a fresh perspective, making it interesting. I may finally be able to embrace it. Beautiful review.
fadjei
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fadjei.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by fadjei »

This sounds like a very helpful book. Especially for people who are looking to improve their eating habits and want some healthier options.
Thanks for the review!
moowshiri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moowshiri.html
Latest Review: The Kings Death by Ed Cannon

Post by moowshiri »

I think this is the book that I need, given the fact that I'm slowly switching to a vegan lifestyle. Thanks for the insightful review.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I have a vegan daughter and carnivore son who hates vegan food on principle. Thanks for the reminder to try the recipes in this book.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

My son and his wife are vegan, and I think they would like this book. I enjoyed your story about purchasing tofu.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Vegan lifestyle is not quite for me, but I would love to learn something new about healthy food and more appropriate diet :) Thank you for a great review!
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I'm not a vegan but I would definitely like to read about their recipes.
Nice review.
Josep22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josep22.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Josep22 »

I've read and seen different opinions on health and diet. This one sounds really interesting. Thank you for the review.
elsiebeth
Favorite Author: Pamela Schoenewaldt
Currently Reading: Dog Sport Skills
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elsiebeth.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 37948

Post by elsiebeth »

After my husband's quadruple heart bypass surgery, we went vegan for a few years. He eventually developed an iron deficiency and we changed diets. I had an awful time finding vegan recipes. Finally found a book written by the late Linda McCartney. It was great but I lost the book and have been looking for a new one. I will read this book. My first experience with tofu was similar to yours, but I learned. I use it often now.

Thank you for this very excellent review. It is spot on and says what needs to be told.
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

Sounds like a great cookbook. I am not vegan myself, but I think I would find a few recipes that would suit me.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”