Review by Teddy bear 1 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Teddy bear 1
Currently Reading: Plain Perfect
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teddy-bear-1.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by Teddy bear 1 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Teddy bear 1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This non-fiction autobiography, Burn Zones written by Jorge P. Newbery, exhibits his determination throughout his lifetime. Throughout his life, Jorge shows that if you try hard and don't give up, you can succeed in whatever you put your mind to. Jorge also shows by example that alcohol, illegal drugs, and illicit sex do not pay off if you are wanting to succeed in your life.

He begins to show his tenacity at the age of seven when he starts a newspaper route. When he is eleven he moves on to an ice cream tricycle, which he purchases with the money he made from the paper route. At the age of sixteen, he passes the G.E.D. test and drops out of school.

Jorge P. Newbery is very determined, passionate, and eager to make something of himself. He throws himself 100% into whatever he begins. He starts a punk rock music company then moves onto a career in bicycle racing. As he is learning to race, he learns the meaning of the phrase, "burn zones." Since racing doesn't work out for him, he goes on to money management. At this time, he starts to purchase rental apartments. He will eventually own 4000 rental units. Jorge then learns a hard lesson about trust. So as not to spoil the story, I will just say that Jorge will lose his fortune but he will make a comeback.

The story tells a lot about Jorge's family. As you read the book, you will learn about this family's support for each other. Jorge's father helps and encourages him throughout every step of his life. The family not only supports one another but they support and encourage their neighbors. Throughout the story, you learn about African American history in the United States.

I enjoyed reading about Jorge's life. It was educational to learn how an average person came from a middle-class family and made a millionaire out of himself. Even though he lost his fortune, at one point, he brought himself back up. He teaches many people how to keep their homes when the bank forecloses on their mortgages and at a much lower price and payment.

The only thing about this autobiography that I didn't like was the vulgar/profane language that was used several times. Due to the language and to the technical aspects used this book would not be advised for children. I would recommend this book for young adults and older. This story was very well edited. I didn't find any typographical errors so due to this fact I give Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery a 4 out of 4 stars.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”