Official Review: Tiny Little Boxes by Christina Dylag

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LinaMueller
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 136
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: Broad Horizons by Donald "Sparky" Rodde

Official Review: Tiny Little Boxes by Christina Dylag

Post by LinaMueller »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tiny Little Boxes" by Christina Dylag.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tiny Little Boxes by Christina Dylag is a self-help book. I am not sure if the author agrees with my categorization, but I am convinced that I'm right.

This work is unique in many ways. The first aspect that stands out is the use of informal language that sometimes ignore grammar rules. Examples: the use of slangs excessively, the spacing between letters or words, first words of sentences that are not capitalized (and so on) are common "mistakes." Instead of being considered a flaw, the informal dialogue is the most exceptional quality of the book. The author managed to create an intimate and honest discussion with the reader brilliantly. There is no doubt that Tiny Little Boxes is professionally edited. I could not consider intentional grammatical errors (which are part of the author's style) as errors. So I had to guess when the author was not trying to make a grammatical mistake.

But what is this book all about? Fair enough. I will explain it in detail. It is a dialogue between the author and the reader in which she goes on telling about the successes and mistakes of her life. She discusses the most varied subjects ranging from relationships and religion to professional advice. The book's central message is that tolerance is the highest virtue and that the search for wholeness is constant. Our interpretation of the facts is always biased, and we must understand and accept others.

I also liked that Dylag mentioned influential philosophers like Nietzsche and Plato. She was able to explain complex philosophical themes. Besides, the book has some hints of humor that make it more enjoyable. It's impressive how Christina managed to write such a book that has the potential to transform so many lives and free so many people from mental prisons in a light, relaxed and humorous way.

I didn't find much to criticize here. In the first half of the book, some ideas are a little repetitive, and that was what I liked least about the book. It is a minor defect, and the author could even argue that she chose to repeat the ideas intentionally so that the reader better understand the content.

On the whole, Tiny Little Boxes deserves four out of four stars. The book has several positive features that have been mentioned above. Therefore, the rating is self-explanatory. The only flaw detected is minor. I recommend this book to anyone who seeks a self-help book and wants to get rid of mental prisons and modern conventions. Due to the excessive use of words like "sh*t," "f**k," and "asshole," I recommend this book only for people over 14 years old.

Tiny Little Boxes
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson

MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading: Anxious for Answers
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: The Online Meeting Survival Guide by Paul Richards

Post by MsH2k »

LinaMueller wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 15:01
It's impressive how Christina managed to write such a book that has the potential to transform so many lives and free so many people from mental prisons in a light, relaxed and humorous way.
That is impressive. This sounds like a brilliant book. Thank you for another lovely review!

Wuoketch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wuoketch.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Wuoketch »

Sounds a great book and I may consider reading it. Nice review.

Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Elvis Best »

I love self help titles, so I think this book would be perfect for me. The fact that the author discusses both her successes and failures appeals to me very much. Thanks for the great review.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Samgum50 »

Great review! What an interesting and exciting book this seems to be.

Slater678
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slater678.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Slater678 »

I appreciate the author's discussions on what worked and what didn't in her life. I also like the informal writing style employed. Nice review.

Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Priyanka2304 »

Really enjoyed reading your review. Self-help books are really promising and convincing when written well.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”